Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Out on the streets with the Leica M8"  (Read 9800 times)

JeanMichel

Re: "Out on the streets with the Leica M8"
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 02:41:15 pm »

I am not absolutely sure of the accuracy of the following exchange (I thought that it was between Hemingway and Capa), but it is a fun if easy tidbit:

Ernest Hemingway: "Good pictures, what camera do you use?"
Irving Penn: "What typewriter do you use?"

I use a Leica, have done so since 1968; and a variety of MF and LF equipment in the past, and now mainly a Canon 5d2. I still prefer to use my M9 whenever I can. Yes, there are many cameras today that make using a Leica a bit quaint. Then again, using a Leica reduces the chance of achieving well-exposed, in-focus mediocre images.

Jean-Michel

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 01:29:46 pm »

Now the concept of "street photography" has always seemed a bit nebulous to me and appeals not at all. However, should I chose to take up the challenge, I'd be inclined to select a camera (a) with the possibility of AF, and (b) a tilting screen which would enable me to shoot from waist level and/or discreetly.

Choosing a manual focus rangefinder would seem to be a perverse option unless it's overwhelmingly important to feel spiritually aligned with the Old Masters of the genre. Not that such a choice would necessarily preclude producing great results, clearly.

LKaven

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 02:37:27 pm »

Now the concept of "street photography" has always seemed a bit nebulous to me and appeals not at all. However, should I chose to take up the challenge, I'd be inclined to select a camera (a) with the possibility of AF, and (b) a tilting screen which would enable me to shoot from waist level and/or discreetly.

Choosing a manual focus rangefinder would seem to be a perverse option unless it's overwhelmingly important to feel spiritually aligned with the Old Masters of the genre. Not that such a choice would necessarily preclude producing great results, clearly.

Getting the appeal of doing it is partly what helps to determine what camera is best and in what situations.  It has to work for what you're doing.

The Leica appeal is partly historical, but also has a rational basis.

Leica street modality: (i) lightweight camera with controls fit to the hand, (ii) bright, contextual viewfinder, (iii) wide angle, (iv) zone focus, (v) no shutter lag, (vi) you are in the action.

There are other street modalities, but this is the classic street modality.  Zone focus is typical, but there is no faster, surer way to focus an ultrawide than through a rangefinder.  You are in the action, so you are engaged with your subject, and the camera's eye is /your/ eye.  With practice, you can lift the camera to your eye, frame, and shoot, within one second.

My personal favorite street camera was the Nikon F with straight prism.  It was small enough to carry in one's palm.  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:16:47 am by LKaven »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up