Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: metering with d800 for fuji gx680 iii  (Read 2459 times)

bambanx

metering with d800 for fuji gx680 iii
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:11:27 pm »

hello guys, my negatives are bad exposed, i need a advice i have a few rolls of film for test and start to learning, currently i dont have a photometer, i will buy one but for now i wanna use what i have on my hands, my setup is :
fuji gx680 iii with 180mm 3.2 fujinon lens with kodak portra 400 loaded i just taked 1 shoot :) on it and i dont wanna waste the rest of shoots, so what i have is
- nikon d800 with 35mm 1.4 sigma, 80-200mm ais nikkor, 50mm 1.8 nikkor and 105mm micro 2.8 .
with my digital equipment can i meter for use with my fuji and 180mm lens, can u advice me how please or what lens is the best aproach for meter?

right now is night here(chile)  i am on my balcony searching for it, this is the frame i want to capture as taked with my d7000 a few time ago.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanvilches/8697083885/

Thanks very much.
PD: in case all my digital stuff cannot be used for meter for use with my fuji can u recommend me a cheap good photometer? thanks very much for all .

ondebanks

Re: metering with d800 for fuji gx680 iii
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:49 am »

Yes, you can certainly meter for film using your digital camera. [ISO & f-stop & shutter speed] is a universal recipe for both media. To match the composition of the 180mm lens on your Fuji 6x8, I'd recommend metering with the zoom set to around 80-85 mm on your D800.

But note that:
(1) digital (especially your D800) has more shadow detail than film, particularly at higher ISOs like ISO400;
(2) colour negative film like Portra has more overexposure tolerance than digital;
(3) long exposures (> 1 second) such as this night shot require longer film exposures, or wider lens apertures, to compensate for film reciprocity failure.

For those 3 reasons, you should increase exposure on film compared to what your digital camera meter is indicating. It's not an exact science; for starters, try bracketing by +1 and +2 extra stops.

Ray

geezerhood

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:07:54 pm »

My friend used the GX680 for all his outdoor / landscape photography for several years and the only meter he carried was an old Canon F1 body.  It worked well for him. He was known to just set it in the dirt or on a rock when he was done metering so he could get back to composition, so the old F1 looked like it had been through several wars. It kept on giving him reliable exposure information despite the abuse for many years. Interestingly he never used the F1 for anything BUT a meter. It was never even loaded with film.

He did adjust the exposure from what the F1 gave him, depending on the type of film used (under about 1/3 to 1/2 stop for transparencies as I recall) and the scene, but it worked as well as my spot meter did for me using the GX680 myself.  I later ended up getting an AE finder for the GX680 and after that point I didn't use the spot meter very much as the finder was was super accurate and of course TTL.  You might find one on Ebay pretty cheap if you are patient.  I was going to sell mine but they were going so low I decided to keep it in case I ever decided to start using a digital back on the Fuji.

I will look at what I used for my hand held meter and let you know. It was a great meter made by Sekonic, with spot, average, incident and flash metering.  I think I paid $80 used for it.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:45:44 pm »

these little iPhone meter apps are actually pretty damn accurate...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-light-meter/id381698089?mt=8

CB

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:54 am »

I used an EOS-M as a 'meter' for the first frames I shot with a Mamiya RZ.  I ended up going to the iPhone Pocket Light Meter just to make it a little less gear in hand.  All shots came out fine.  Also would put out there the fun of shooting Fuji pack film - a much faster way to verify what you're shooting.  As someone looking for a gx680 currently, the polaroid back is one of my requirements. :)
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up