Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer  (Read 1375 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:21:32 pm »

On the drive through the Thar Desert of Rajasthan in west India.  More in this blog entry.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:14:18 pm »

All three are excellent, Rajan, but the third is beyond excellent. That's the kind of photograph upon which one can hang a reputation. Bravo! For some strange reason my system will let me look at all three full-sized shots.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:14:58 pm »

All three are excellent, Rajan, but the third is beyond excellent. That's the kind of photograph upon which one can hang a reputation. Bravo! For some strange reason my system will let me look at all three full-sized shots.

Russ,

Strange that you are having issues accessing the images here.  Often I include a link to my blog post so that those not logged in or without a LuLa account can see the photos.

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:22:02 pm »

All three are excellent, Rajan, but the third is beyond excellent. That's the kind of photograph upon which one can hang a reputation.

Couldn't agree more.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:50:29 am »

#3 is beyond criticism.  Simply superb.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:46:07 pm »

Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:07:59 am »

Rajan

I agree with the general consensus - however I would have liked to see a bit more of the truck in number two - I think more context would suggest a more candid (therefore less orchestrated portrait) I am not suggesting it was orchestrated - but to me it perhaps loses a bit of atmosphere - which I am sure there was plenty.

Cheers

Mal

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:05:10 pm »

Thank you, all.

Rajan

I agree with the general consensus - however I would have liked to see a bit more of the truck in number two - I think more context would suggest a more candid (therefore less orchestrated portrait) I am not suggesting it was orchestrated - but to me it perhaps loses a bit of atmosphere - which I am sure there was plenty.

Cheers

Mal

Mal,

See the attached uncropped screen grab.  I cropped it to draw attention to the people themselves, but you have a point.  It wasn't choreographed (choreographed photography (i.e. planting models in settings) is not something I do - nothing wrong with it, just not my thing).  If I recall correctly - this was in 2007 and I have forgotten the exact circumstances - I took the shot from the car after instructing my driver to tail the truck, which is why the occupants are aware that the camera is pointed at them.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »

They're both good, Rajan but in my own estimation the first is the better of the two. The cropped one is about the people. The un-cropped one is about the truck. I find people a lot more interesting than trucks.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:41:09 pm »

Rajan

Thanks for taking the time to post the uncropped version - I agree the people are more interesting than the truck and your back story answers the question as to why the folk are all looking straight at the camera.

So I agree the cropped version is a stronger image - the discussion seems worthwhile in any case.

Mal

seamus finn

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:31 pm »

They're both good, Rajan but in my own estimation the first is the better of the two. The cropped one is about the people. The un-cropped one is about the truck. I find people a lot more interesting than trucks.

Yes, I think that's the sum of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up