Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusing landscapes with the nikon D800E question  (Read 11804 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Focusing landscapes with the nikon D800E question
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 11:57:09 am »

Hi Bernard,

thank you, very interesting. What Tripod head do you use? Do you manually expose new for the sky, or do you use the same exposure as for the landscape.

I am using Really Right Stuff pano heads, I typically use the same exposure for the whole scene and expose to as to avoid burning highlights in the brightest part. There is enough DR in the D800 files for make it easy to lift shadows without any visible noise.

Cheers,
Bernard

CptZar

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 12:16:21 pm »

Thank you!

Ligament

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 04:26:24 pm »

Bernard,

You are an excellent photographer and very demanding regarding image quality. When you are doing these 8 shot panos, how are you minimizing ghosting, particularly with moving clouds, moving vegetation, etc. I doubt you would tolerate this stuff, so wondering how you deal with it. Thanks.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 05:42:09 pm »

Bernard,

You are an excellent photographer and very demanding regarding image quality. When you are doing these 8 shot panos, how are you minimizing ghosting, particularly with moving clouds, moving vegetation, etc. I doubt you would tolerate this stuff, so wondering how you deal with it. Thanks.

Hi,

I'm not Bernard, but I am experienced in Pano-stitching (which I already did with film-scans, and print montage even before that).

Good/dedicated stitching software usually has a pretty good built-in image Blending module, and some even allow other blending engines as a sort of plug-in. These blending enhines take care of most of the image movement in the overlap between the image tiles that make up the image. Sometimes even these engines can use some manual help, and allow to do that in e.g. Photoshop with layers (manual mask adjustments, manual warping, or plain cloning/healing).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 06:44:23 pm »

Bart, my apologies. I don't know where I got Bernard from!

LOL, a momentary lapse of realization that you posted this in a public forum instead of a PM? I was just poking a bit of fun, but hopefully also answering part of your question. So I took the liberty to intrude (which I am not accustomed to do, so consider it a bold step on my part) ...

Cheers,
Bart

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2014, 04:07:37 am »

Bart is indeed an excellent photographer! ;)

Timing is key, successive shots can be taken within 1 sec of each others. Most if the time adjacent parts if the landscape don't change that fast.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2014, 04:44:21 am »

Bart is indeed an excellent photographer! ;)

Thanks . I don't have a D800 so these pictures may be a bit OT, but for those who may think I'm only interested in technique, anyway LuLa is about photography:

The last one is a Panostitch, focused with a Tilt and Shift lens, to get back on topic...

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:33:51 am by BartvanderWolf »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 03:20:20 am »

Thanks . I don't have a D800 so these pictures may be a bit OT, but for those who may think I'm only interested in technique, anyway LuLa is about photography:

Nice images, thanks for sharing!

It is indeed funny to see that some people seem to think it is impossible to both practise photography and be interested in discussing more technical/marketing/... aspects.

The old body-builders-don't-read-books belief syndrome I guess.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up