Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewfinder for legally blind?  (Read 3248 times)

photoelectric

Viewfinder for legally blind?
« on: September 27, 2005, 03:08:01 am »

Hello all,

I'me very new to photograghy, not having purchased my first camera until the age of 34. The reason I haven't bought one sooner is that I cannot compose an image through an optical viewfinder. With digital cameras being so inexpensive, I thought I'd try one because I was able to see to compose through the LCD. The bug has definately hit me hard and I want to upgrade my camera but the problem of the optical viewfinder still remains.

My eye condition is a type of optic atrophy. I am also nearsighted and this of course is correctable, but the optic atrophy is not. It's a permanent resolution/acuity deficiency that leaves me with 20/200 in both eyes, after correction for the nearsightedness.

At last the question: Does anyone know of solutions that would allow me to use a DSLR system with vision this limited. I have been investigating many options including some of the  prosumer fixed lens jobs, like the Sony DSC V3 or the new Sony DSC R1 (perhaps the best option I've found so far) where I can just continue to compose through the LCD. Ultimately, I would love to be able to have the flexibility that a DSLR system would provide though. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:40:36 am »

The 20Da allows limited use of the LCD. There is a gadget called the ZIGVIEW which is a small LCD which clips onto the viewfinder and would be similar to a digicam's LCD screen.

Do a search for zigview

svein

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:46:31 pm »

Don't really think you'll find anything that will work well. The previous poster mentioned two possibilities (think Fuji have something similar too), but it's really kludges at the moment.

Think you're correct that the best option now (for image quality) is the Sony R1, but there are also prosumer models like Nikon 8800, Panasonic Fz30 etc that offers a really long zoom range if that's what you want, but at the cost of image quality, specially in difficult situations.

However, many people have been waiting years for a camera that will combine the image quality and interchangable lenses of a slr with LCD preview. Sony has shown (with the R1) that it's possible, even though it still has a fixed lens. With the Sony-Minolta deal this summer it would be pretty likely that Sony will come out with a model compatible with Minolta lenses fairly soon.

It would also be surprising if no other manufacturer don't follow up with a model that also have interchangable lenses. Btw, last time Sony came out with new sensor for the prosumer market (the 8mp sensor found in the 828 model) it took only months before all the major companies had competing models out.

This time it's probably not quite as easy as the sensor is a completely new design, and not an upgrade that will fit in existing models. In addition, it would be surprising if Canon used this sensor as it's clearly a direct competitor to their own cmos designs. It would also be surprising if Olympus started using a sensor that's larger than the one they use in their slrs. Still, there are Nikon and Minolta which both work closely with Sony, and of course a lot of other players like Pentax, Casio etc.

Could go on and on (even more), but the conclusion is that I'd be surprised if you don't see something even better suited to your needs than the R1 within 6 to 12 months.

Disclaimer: I don't have any inside info at all, so this is all based on educated guesses, not facts.

oldshadow

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 04:51:12 pm »

As another option you could consider a porable DVD player to be used as a viewing screen. Some people are using this for studio/tripod work as a way of seeing composition on a larger screen. DVD player is the battery operated type with video in capability. Most cameras have video out feature.

oldshadow

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 05:00:05 pm »

This is post capture only on DSLRs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up