Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change Credo LCD display to grayscale?  (Read 1920 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
How to change Credo LCD display to grayscale?
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:40:03 am »

I have a Credo 60 and I sometimes want the LCD screen to display my shots in grayscale, not colour.

How do I do this?

I am sure it should be possible but I cannot find how to do it. Help, please.
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: How to change Credo LCD display to grayscale?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:37:04 pm »

I have a Credo 60 and I sometimes want the LCD screen to display my shots in grayscale, not colour.

How do I do this?

I am sure it should be possible but I cannot find how to do it. Help, please.
Roger

hi Roger, this feature is on our "to do" list for a future firmware update.

BR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:32:09 am »

Thanks for the info, Yaha, but I cannot help but feel let down. This is, surely a basic option and the Credo backs were introduced two years ago.

My guess is that the Phase One backs had this feature from day one. I would be interested in knowing, now that I understand that Phase One owns Leaf, where does the Credo range fit in the scheme of things. I get the impression the Credo range is the poor cousin of the Phase One backs.

The Credo range does not have the focus confirmation of the Phase One backs and none of the subsequent improvements with WiFi, CMOS sensors, and so on.

Phase One is entitled to market the Credo's as a budget range of backs without the advances of the Phase One backs and I am grateful for this, I suppose, because the Phase One backs are beyond my budget but there are some features I expect even a budget range to offer, such as, grayscale preview and USB3 hookup.

Is the latter available yet? When do you anticipate the grayscale preview will be available?

Then there is the clunky interface on the back where you have to go through several functions to get to the option you want . . .

These improvements don't seem to me to be very time-consuming or expensive to achieve.
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:17:53 am »

USB3 is available/enabled/ready on both Credo, IQ1, and IQ2.

B+W preview was not available on the IQ1 from the start. This feature was added in a firmware update well after initial launch.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:19:49 am »

My guess would be that B&W preview on the Credo would be a simple firmware update, but until then---try the USB3 tethering on your Credo, especially with options offered by the new Surface Pro 2 or 3.  You are able to view full raws on Capture One Pro 7 DB with all the bells and whistles to preview your images in a portable package.  And that includes applying styles or B&W.  The Surface Pro with its touch screen interface is like a natural extension of the already very good screens of the IQ and Credo MFDBs.

See, http://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/microsofts-surface-pro-2-a-game-changer-for-phase-one-iq-series-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/

:) ken

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »

Thank you all for your replies.

I really enjoy using my Credo and my disappointment that grayscale viewing is not currently possible lead me to a fit of "high drama"!. Sorry about that.

As said, I am grateful that there is a relatively affordable hi-res DB and I knew, at the time I purchased, that the Phase One backs were about USD8,000 (in today's currency equivalents) more expensive and had, understandably, features that the Credo did not.

I will keep taking my pills and be patient . . .
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

tjv

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:48:25 pm »

You know you're reading a DMF forum when the Credo is defined as a budget back. I know it's cheaper than the Phase equivalent, but they're still big money. Strange such a simple feature as Roger points out isn't considered standard at that price point.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:24:52 am »

.... Strange such a simple feature as Roger points out isn't considered standard at that price point.

Some features aren't added or functional until they are ready or matured.  USB3 is a case in point of a functionality not added by firmware until the standard had been fully developed.  B&W previewing on the MFDB screen is another.  It seems Phase was quicker to update and release the firmware than Leaf. Phase got Live View via USB3 before the Credo. I have no doubt Yair is correct that B&W previewing is soon to follow for the Credo---which is still relatively new to the IQ series.

And kudos to companies like Phase One that offer added functionality where it was not offered initially or promised as a feature set.  I remember having the P65+ and Phase One upgrading my MFDB to allow it to sync at 1/1600th. That feature was never promised in the marketing materials.  Phase saw value in faster flash sync capabilities and simply offered that improved feature set to its P+ MFDB users via firmware update (some earlier backs needed hardware updates).  That's awesome.

It takes patience at times, but it's worth the wait.  :)

ken

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 10:43:24 am »

Lots of folks seem to forget that the P65+ had the B&W preview option. When the IQ1X came out this feature was left out. When the IQ2X came out B&W preview came back.  About 4 months ago Phase One gave it to the IQ1 series with a firmware update.   For some reason in the 1st gen IQ backs Phase did not see this as a needed feature then brought it back with the IQ2x backs.   It was a nice move to offer to the 1st gen IQ backs.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 01:12:33 pm »

Paul, remember the IQ project was a complete ground-up redo. I documented a bit of the feel of that project in my article on the IQ250 Development. Other than the sensor, there aren't any shared components, and the internal architecture, and user interface were entirely newly created. Of course they took cues and lessons from their work on the P/P+, but this was not a P++, it was an entirely new line. Such a major "reboot" of design means every feature, function, and option has to be reimplemented under the new architecture. It was a fairly radical and expensive project. So there was no shortage of items on the to-do list. The IQ offers *dozens* of features that weren't present in the P+, or which were radically improved. For instance the P65+ had a one-axis tilt meter which had a rudimentary UI that looks much like a screen in a X-Wing HUD, while the IQ added a two-axis tilt meter with nice looking UI, optional numerical output (less fancy but more practical IMO), field calibration, and access in live view and while reviewing images without leaving the image-review screen. The P+ had exposure warning, but the IQ provided the option to customize the level at which it warned, customization of the color overlayed (useful if shooting a subject with a lot of red), and the option to blink in the side-panel while reviewing an image without interrupting the view of the main image.

So the fact they didn't get 100% through the list at launch (B+W review being a fairly minor but still meaningful one) is, in retrospect, understandable. I was glad to see them get that feature in there upon launch of the IQ2, and release it for free to users of the IQ1. I'll be glad for Credo folks if/when it is ported to that line as well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:14:32 pm by Doug Peterson »

MrSmith

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 01:20:53 pm »

"USB3 is a case in point of a functionality not added by firmware until the standard had been fully developed"

Seriously? What was it in USB3 that wasn't developed upon release? Surely usb's standards and parameters are decided before it gets used in literally billions of devices by thousands of manufacturers?
How many years did it take phase to get it working? Were they really waiting for the standard to mature?
Sorry I don't drink that cool-aid.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 01:43:30 pm »

"USB3 is a case in point of a functionality not added by firmware until the standard had been fully developed"

Seriously? What was it in USB3 that wasn't developed upon release? Surely usb's standards and parameters are decided before it gets used in literally billions of devices by thousands of manufacturers?
How many years did it take phase to get it working? Were they really waiting for the standard to mature?
Sorry I don't drink that cool-aid.

Actually a lot was still being worked out regarding specifics of USB3. This does NOT excuse what happened - Phase One announced it would be ready on launch day, and it took considerably more than a year after launch to deliver. That was bad for Phase One, and bad for Phase One's customers. It was a mistake, clear as that. The only thing that helps offset that fairly significant mistake is that they kept at it and the promise of USB3 was eventually fulfilled for all IQ1 customers, which allows fast live-view for the IQ250 despite the large amount of data that needs to be moved, very long USB cables for tethering, and faster connect/disconnect in the studio.

But yes, if you're questioning the underlying facts, I'd stand behind the idea of his statement - the USB3 standards were still a bit "wild west" at the time. No USB3 on mac, several vendors making USB3 cards which would behave quite differently with the same USB3 hardware. For low-end devices making only limited use of the protocol for basic functionality it was not that problematic, but USB3 as implemented in the IQ is a very high-performance implementation for very critical applications.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:46:58 pm by Doug Peterson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up