Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Remask?  (Read 18653 times)

bjanes

Topaz Remask?
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:49:02 pm »

I just got a notice that Topaz Remask is on sale for half price, around US $35. I have been using the quick selection tool in Photoshop CC 2014 with reasonably good results. Does Remask offer any significant improvement over the Adobe tool?

Thanks,

Bill

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Re: Topaz Remask?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 04:56:44 pm »

I just got a notice that Topaz Remask is on sale for half price, around US $35. I have been using the quick selection tool in Photoshop CC 2014 with reasonably good results. Does Remask offer any significant improvement over the Adobe tool?

Thanks,

Bill

Topaz ReMask works very well for complex selections.  That said, the Refine Edge capabilities in Photoshop have now improved significantly.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:28:03 pm »

Hi Bill,

Remask is one of the better masking tools around, and at half price it's a steal, especially if you do a lot of masking. The PS quick selection tool isn't bad, but there are more complex selections possible with Remask, especially when transparency is involved. It's not a magic tool, it still requires work to make a good selection mask, and experience does help to get better results faster.

It is also possible to start with a rough quick selection in PS, make a mask with a bit of feathering, and refine that in Remask. That is often a very fast way to create a mask. It also helps to make a layer with colors that allow a good separation from a backdrop, and use that to finish masking.

As with all tools, there is a learning curve, so I suggest you look at some of the Tutorial videos on their Youtube channel if you want to try it out efficiently before the discount period expires, and get a good idea whether it's something useful for your workflow. Then it takes practice to get better at it, but it always helps if the original shot is done with care if masks are known to be needed.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:31:33 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:44:56 pm »

As with all tools, there is a learning curve, so I suggest you look at some of the Tutorial videos on their Youtube channel if you want to try it out efficiently before the discount period expires, and get a good idea whether it's something useful for your workflow. Then it takes practice to get better at it, but it always helps if the original shot is done with care if masks are known to be needed.

Bart,

Thanks for the advice. The offer of good through July 31 and the price is US$34.99. I will download the trial and try it out. I have several of the Topaz plugins which you have recommended and have found them well designed and relatively easy to use.

Regards,

Bill

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:56:25 pm »

Thanks for the advice. The offer of good through July 31 and the price is US$34.99. I will download the trial and try it out. I have several of the Topaz plugins which you have recommended and have found them well designed and relatively easy to use.

Yes, they are relatively easy to use, but masking can be a very complex task with semi transparent structures. Layer preparation can help a lot. The tutorials, especially the advanced masking ones, are very helpful in getting up to speed fast. They also show that sometimes less work produces more result. Trying to get too refined may backfire, and produce worse results.

Cheers,
Bart

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:38:37 am »

The new Remask 4 works very well. I tried it on several images, including animals and fabric, and the program handled the fine details and fur / hair very well. In some cases, the program introduces some rough edges or color contamined spots that can be cleaned up quickly in Photoshop or directly in Remask by playing with Adjustment brush and edge definition sliders.

I posted a short Topaz Remask 4 review with a couple of examples on my blogsite:

http://advantica.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/topaz-remask/

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 11:42:39 am »

I use Remask and there's two features that make it worth the money: the ability to adjust the mask edge using color selections while working in the program, and that it outputs an alpha channel when it's done processing. Having the alpha channel allows for more tuning of the mask, if needed.

It's a good program  and with practice you will be able to mask almost anything with accuracy.
~ CB

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 05:50:23 pm »

Remask is very good, I use it as my main selection/extraction tool.
Look at the tutorials https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mask+topaz
My default is to create a mask with Remask and use Photoshop Refine Edge to tweak it further...
My other “secret”  weapon plug-in is Vertus Fluid Mask, it is also good but is lacking an upgrade
to be able to work with BIG 16 bits images, Remask is easier to use and learn.

Using all my tools together...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:03:58 am »

My other “secret”  weapon plug-in is Vertus Fluid Mask

Do you use both Vertus Fluid mask and Remask on one image? And if so, what is your workflow?

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:29:25 pm »

Most of the time I use ReMask for *everything*, but
for sky replacement usually I prefer Vertus Fluid Mask...
I should not have used the word “secret”, it gave the
wrong meaning...
This squirrel was long time ago, I guess was Topaz ReMask version 1
at the time, 4 layers, the original + new background  + Vertus extraction
+ ReMask extraction, so can  mix both or parts, I do not remember exactly...
The tail of the squirrel(white parts) was a bit too transparent in Vertus extraction
and used the ReMask  extraction to make it more solid.

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:40 am »

Even after the Topaz deal ends on the 31st you can still get 15% off.

Pictus, that's a great extraction! I was seeing the "after" version displayed first and it looked totally natural.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 05:06:30 pm »

Thanks, that's the intention ... ;D

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 07:50:40 am »

Another review - works well.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/topaz-remask4.html

As a fairly infrequent user of such cutouts I find it useful, without a lot of things to forget between times I've needed it ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 08:11:21 pm »

Topaz Labs has recently released Topaz ReMask 5, an updated version of their masking software.  The update is free to anyone who already owns ReMask, and for those who don’t own it, ReMask 5 will be on sale ($20 off or $49.99 instead of $69.99) from August 25th – September 18th.

The program works now in standalone mode, so for a quick cutout or composite with another background image you don't even need Photoshop. You can choose from transparent, solid color, or another image backgrounds. If you bring in another image as background, you can adjust its brightness, contrast, blur, and color saturation just by using the sliders. When done, you can save your composite image as JPG, TIFF, or PNG file. ReMask5 can be now invoked also from Adobe Lightroom.

Here is the Topaz link:
Topaz Remask  and at checkout enter "GetReMask5" as the coupon code to get the $20 discount.

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 08:57:13 pm »

Here's a children's theatre poster my daughter designed, cutting out the individual cast members' photos with ReMask.

Some of my own examples are here.

Please note that the entire Topaz Complete Collection is always discounted.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 04:08:16 am »

I did an update for the review mentioned above

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/topaz-remask5.html

The biggest change is probably to be able to do background replacement in the plugin.

Given I'd use it in Photoshop, I'd still prefer to add the new background there, since I've much more control of how the cutout is applied/blended. It is useful though for being able to refine the mask against the background you are using (even if still doing the final work back in PS)

Note: As mentioned in the reviews, any purchase link in my review is an affiliate link (so I get a small cut if you purchase). This would also seem to apply to most links recently posted in the thread. ;-)

Garnick

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 10:06:28 am »

I did an update for the review mentioned above

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/topaz-remask5.html

The biggest change is probably to be able to do background replacement in the plugin.

Given I'd use it in Photoshop, I'd still prefer to add the new background there, since I've much more control of how the cutout is applied/blended. It is useful though for being able to refine the mask against the background you are using (even if still doing the final work back in PS)

Note: As mentioned in the reviews, any purchase link in my review is an affiliate link (so I get a small cut if you purchase). This would also seem to apply to most links recently posted in the thread. ;-)

I must admit that even though I've had ReMask for two versions I have never worked it enough to become proficient.  I have other masking procedures, but ReMask has always been beckoning me to give it a serious try.  I recently downloaded the free upgrade to ReMask 5 but cannot seem to find a PS plugin for it.  Standalone is OK, but as you mentioned Keith, I would also like to use it in PS for applications.  I guess the question is -- have I been missing something as far as a PS plugin for ReMask 5 is concerned?  This seems to be a standalone version only.  Please advise.

Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 10:49:09 am »

IIRC You install the plugin after running the standalone app (from the app) - see the Topaz site for more info

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 10:11:34 pm »

I just downloaded Remask5, ran the installation program,
and it installed it both as a standalone program, and as another plugin (right below Remask4)  in the Photoshop filter menu.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 04:26:38 am »

I just downloaded Remask5, ran the installation program,
and it installed it both as a standalone program, and as another plugin (right below Remask4)  in the Photoshop filter menu.

Yes, same with me (on Windows 7).

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up