Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: decision issues between 5D and 1DmarkII  (Read 2509 times)

DonWeston

decision issues between 5D and 1DmarkII
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:03:24 pm »

....trying to decide based on operational issues between these two cameras. like the increased resolution of the 5D but also like the speed and accuracy of focusing and metering I could [?]expect from the 1D2. the money is not an issue as the difference in the states would only be about $700. would like the resolution of the 1Ds2 but do not want to invest that much for a serious hobby when in a yr one will probably be able to attain the same at much less cost. also is there that much difference in large prints, large being 20x30 or 24x36 size between the two? at present I own a 7600 printer and would like to maximize its potential. should I just be patient and skip a generation, currently have a 20D and XT. i shoot mostly travel and landscape, but also shoot my kids cheerleading and crew which is both day events and evening under light shooting at times for the cheerleading. luckily do not need much longer lenses then i already possess. help before I gooooo crazyyyyyyy..........just how bad or good is the focusing or metering of the 5D compared to the 1d2? will it beat out the 20D in this regard? assuming the 1d2 would. sorry will now go take my meds......

Andrew Larkin

decision issues between 5D and 1DmarkII
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:14:42 pm »

Don, if you haven't read the Canon whitepaper on the 5D, you should do so.  You can find a copy at http://www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/C...White_Paper.pdf

Here is a relevant quote from the whitepaper re focussing speed:

"Predictive AF can focus track a subject approaching at 186 mph up to 66 feet away with an EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens. The EOS 5D camera uses the same statistical prediction computation as the EOS-1Ds Mark II camera, incorporating data of past focusing operations. Because it can repeat more focusing operations in a short length of time, the predictive AF control can operate effectively from the first shot, even if a subject is moving erratically or if the subject’s movement changes just before shutter release. (In this case, as with the EOS-1D Mark II camera, when focusing is possible, the lens drive is executed based on the focusing result right before shutter release.) For still subjects, too, AI SERVO AF is a useful option. Focus control is exceptionally stable; the lens does not move, even minutely. If the subject should move unexpectedly, focus detection is always active to enable subject tracking."

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up