Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a7 AF performance  (Read 4014 times)

Flaviu Mogosan

Sony a7 AF performance
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:57:04 pm »

Hello everyone! I'm enamored with the new mirrorless FF series that Sony launched, more specifically the middle of the road: a7 (for AF, and high resolution). I love to shoot landscapes, portraits and I sometimes shoot weddings, and i would love to switch from my Canon APS-C to the Sony, but I'm on the fence about it, due to anxiety about AF performance.
Reviews on the A7 are mostly oriented towards hobbyists and landscape photographers (which I consider myself to be as well), i often hear "AF speed is adequate" or "good for live view". I don't shoot action and sports, it was never my cup of tea, but I do like to shoot people and weddings, which do require AF, often in low-light situations.
Can users of the A7 describe or refer articles/reviews describing the usability of the AF with proprietary lenses as well as the adapted Alpha mount lenses? Reviewers always gloss over this part, i can't make up my mind!

Vladimirovich

Re: Sony a7 AF performance
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 03:26:21 pm »

Hello everyone! I'm enamored with the new mirrorless FF series that Sony launched, more specifically the middle of the road: a7 (for AF, and high resolution). I love to shoot landscapes, portraits and I sometimes shoot weddings, and i would love to switch from my Canon APS-C to the Sony, but I'm on the fence about it, due to anxiety about AF performance.
Reviews on the A7 are mostly oriented towards hobbyists and landscape photographers (which I consider myself to be as well), i often hear "AF speed is adequate" or "good for live view". I don't shoot action and sports, it was never my cup of tea, but I do like to shoot people and weddings, which do require AF, often in low-light situations.
Can users of the A7 describe or refer articles/reviews describing the usability of the AF with proprietary lenses as well as the adapted Alpha mount lenses? Reviewers always gloss over this part, i can't make up my mind!

I currently use m43 E-M1 and аFE A7 (with native FE mount 55/18 AF lens)... E-M1 AF runs circles around A7 in any light and with all m43 AF lenses, may be w/ the exception of an ancient P20/1.7... can't comment about A-mount lenses using PDAF capable adapter though.

Flaviu Mogosan

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 03:31:52 pm »

I currently use m43 E-M1 and аFE A7 (with native FE mount 55/18 AF lens)... E-M1 AF runs circles around A7 in any light and with all m43 AF lenses, may be w/ the exception of an ancient P20/1.7... can't comment about A-mount lenses using PDAF capable adapter though.
But do you find it any good? Would it be comparable to 5D classic or mark2, or 30D,40D series, or similar mid range dSLRs? I know some of these m4/3 cameras have gotten to an exceptional level in AF, some were claiming fastest AF available.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 03:47:41 pm »

I am not currently a Canon user, although I was one several years ago, but I do use Nikons and all three alpha 7 cameras. The a7 is the best of the three for AF unless the light is really dim, where the a7S comes into its own. OTOH, the Nikon D4 autofocus runs rings around the a7's. In a fluid situation like a wedding there's no doubt which camera I'd pick. The D800E's AF, while not up to the standard of the D4, is faster and more reliable than that of the a7, but not by as much.

I've used the a7 with both the Zony 55mm f/1.8 and the Sony FE 70-200mn f/4 OSS G zoom.

The a7 with the 70-200 weighs less than half the D4/Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 combination, which I use a lot. If you're going to be using the camera for hours on end, that's worth considering.

Jim

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 04:22:46 pm »

But do you find it any good? Would it be comparable to 5D classic or mark2, or 30D,40D series, or similar mid range dSLRs?

Yeah, I'd say the Sony's AF is as good as those cameras speed-wise. In terms of focus point placement versatility it blows 'em away. And in terms of focus accuracy I'll take any mirrorless CD-AF system currently on the market over any SLR PD-AF system old or new.

-Dave-

Vladimirovich

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 05:33:19 pm »

But do you find it any good?

for somebody who is casually posing for you - but not for somebody who is actually moving w/o any intent to pose... if you are an experienced wedding photographer you can do it of course (because you can do MF or prefocus and you know the drill), but if you rely solely/all the time on AF then I'd not risk to use it w/o something that served you before (like Canon dSLRs for example) as a 2nd camera... there is a difference between AF being able to reliably focus on a still face looking at you and AF being able to follow moving couple

Vladimirovich

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 05:42:10 pm »

But do you find it any good? Would it be comparable to 5D classic or mark2, or 30D,40D series, or similar mid range dSLRs? I know some of these m4/3 cameras have gotten to an exceptional level in AF, some were claiming fastest AF available.
as far as I heard you can't really compare 30D/40D generation AF with something like 7D - so what is exactly your Canon APS-C camera ?

Flaviu Mogosan

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 05:54:13 pm »

as far as I heard you can't really compare 30D/40D generation AF with something like 7D - so what is exactly your Canon APS-C camera ?
I'm with my retro 30D for now, no big prints or amazing ISO, but it does the job. I rent for important gigs though. I had a 1Ds II in the past, and the AF was mindblowing, and the IQ was stellar, but It gave me backpains during walks in the woods or trough the streets, so i got rid of it. The 60D was a huge disappointment in colour rendition, so i stuck to my backup. If the a7 performs like my 30D in terms of AF, i'm happy as can be. I also shoot manual focus for portraits on old lenses.

Telecaster, i know what you mean by accuracy on live-view, seen some Michael Dubavoy video discussions about the focal-plane/SLR AF possible inconsistencies, it's another reason why the a7 is so enticing.

You've all been very helpful, thank you! If anyone has experience with the LA-EA4, i'm still very curious to see if it's worth investing in Alpha lenses (because the zooms for FE mount aren't, as far as tests on DxO and other reviews, the best bang for buck..)

Vladimirovich

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:57:22 pm »

If anyone has experience with the LA-EA4, i'm still very curious to see if it's worth investing in Alpha lenses (because the zooms for FE mount aren't, as far as tests on DxO and other reviews, the best bang for buck..)

I'd suggest to check dpreview forum (1042), getdpi forum (Sony section), fredmiranda and may be dyxum ( http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/equipment-forums_forums_cat1.html )
Pages: [1]   Go Up