Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why any font you want as long as it's Helvetica?  (Read 2167 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Why any font you want as long as it's Helvetica?
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:10:13 pm »

Ok, here we are with Lightroom 5.5. Well into the fifth generation of the software. A mature product by any standpoint. The latest bells and whistles include mapping and Blurb book layouts.

My question is really quite simple: why then are we forced to use only Helvetica (or Arial) as the only possible font that can be used when titling a photo? I can't think of one really good reason for this. Does anyone have thoughts or an answer? Or better yet, a workaround?

Nemo

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
Re: Why any font you want as long as it's Helvetica?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:19:48 pm »

Well, if you want complete control of your Blurb book, then there is no other solution than Indesign....

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:28:33 pm »

Actually, I already use InDesign. My comment has nothing to do with Blurb or books. Rather, if you want to title a print, there is no placement option other than centered and no font option other than Helvetica. Strange when you consider one of Adobe's main interests, in the early days, was font libraries.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »

In PhotoLine, you can use all fonts and place the text where you want. Here Bradley Hand at bottom right.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:09:34 pm »

True, but that's where LR Mogrify comes in. I can't recommend it enough.

(Edited for spelling - auto-correct isn't perfect!)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:03:14 am »

My question is really quite simple: why then are we forced to use only Helvetica (or Arial) as the only possible font that can be used when titling a photo? I can't think of one really good reason for this. Does anyone have thoughts or an answer? Or better yet, a workaround?
The bottom line is that the book module is still a relatively new addition to LR. Right now it's just a "Me too" feature and needs a lot of development.
When it was first added I couldn't believe that Adobe could release a module that failed to deliver the same range of options as Blurb's own free Booksmart software.
Hopefully LR6 (7? 8?) will address the issues and mature into a well featured part of LR, but it could be a long wait :(

luxborealis

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:00:06 am »

The bottom line is that the book module is still a relatively new addition to LR. Right now it's just a "Me too" feature and needs a lot of development.
When it was first added I couldn't believe that Adobe could release a module that failed to deliver the same range of options as Blurb's own free Booksmart software.
Hopefully LR6 (7? 8?) will address the issues and mature into a well featured part of LR, but it could be a long wait :(

Just to be clear - the Book module accesses all fonts on your system, so they are all available for use.

nemophoto

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:44:05 pm »

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from with post. My comments were strictly in regard to the print module, NOT the book module. I've worked with page layout programs since the mid 90's and would never dream of doing layouts in Lightroom or Photoshop. My comments were strictly in regard to titling images for prints that are printed from Lightroom's print module.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »

By “title” are  you referring to the “photo info” checkbox?  This option wasn’t intended for it’s looks, just an easy way to include some metadata below the print.

Identity plate looks OK for a title but a real pain because you have to custom enter it each time.  Would be nice if identity plate could pull from metadata as well, or to your point if the photo info font was selectable.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:00:04 pm by Wayne Fox »

luxborealis

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 02:47:51 pm »

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from with post. My comments were strictly in regard to the print module, NOT the book module. I've worked with page layout programs since the mid 90's and would never dream of doing layouts in Lightroom or Photoshop. My comments were strictly in regard to titling images for prints that are printed from Lightroom's print module.

Re-read your OP - you only mention "mapping and Blurb book layouts" prior to your "quite simple question" about photo titling (which could easily refer to the Book module).
Pages: [1]   Go Up