Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: experience with Breathing Color frames  (Read 2010 times)

Herbc

experience with Breathing Color frames
« on: July 15, 2014, 03:33:42 pm »

I just got a few canvas gallery wrap stretcher frames from BC, and I note that they depend on the sticky frame to hold the canvas tight.  Seems a little weak, especially in larger frames.

I am going to mount some canvas prints on 12x 18 and 16x24 frames. 

Anybody have experience with this?  I will be using some Epson Canvas print material.

hugowolf

Re: experience with Breathing Color frames
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:56:28 pm »

I just got a few canvas gallery wrap stretcher frames from BC, and I note that they depend on the sticky frame to hold the canvas tight.  Seems a little weak, especially in larger frames.

I am going to mount some canvas prints on 12x 18 and 16x24 frames. 

I wouldn't use the glue method for anything as large as 16 x 24 inches. The second video shows a method for stapling:
http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/196/

Brian A

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:09:46 pm »

After I got back to the videos, I am thinking the 1.75 inch frames make a better choice.  These photos are going to a public showing, and the last thing I need is to have something get loose and flap in the breeze.

Is it normal practice to rely on glue alone?  Seems pretty risky.

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:29:43 pm »

After I got back to the videos, I am thinking the 1.75 inch frames make a better choice.  These photos are going to a public showing, and the last thing I need is to have something get loose and flap in the breeze.

It is normal for small wraps with this system, which is the same as the itSupplies/Atlex 'Simply Elegant and Hahnemühle Gallerie Wrap systems. It is fine for 13” printers and most prints from 17” printers.

Do a small one and see what you think. It isn’t a large outlay to try one. On the other hand, a staple gun doesn’t cost an awful lot either.

Brian A

Herbc

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:09:34 am »

I have mounted some with regular art supply stores, ie no sticky on the the frames, so stapling is my usual method.

I think I will try some of the smaller prints without staples, but my 3800 prints on canvas at  17x22 are going to get stapled.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:17:56 am »

I use the same stretcher bars. The canvas is not held just by the sticky tape, but also by the bead of glue that you run around the edge before final assembly. That being said, for prints that are being sold I will also staple the canvas to the back of the bars, taking a "belt and suspenders" approach.

Ian99

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:48 am »

I don’t do gallery wraps any more but I used to use the original system from IGWrap that was then licensed to Hahnemuhle.

I still have many wraps from 4 years ago (including some 16x24s) which were taped and glued as per the package instructions and none of them have any separation.

Miles

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:01 am »

I use these bars and am very happy with the quality and finished product when using the staple method.  I have seen some pulling of the canvas slightly in from the wall edge of the bars on larger wraps (24" x 30") if not stapled, thus I always staple.  I really like the neatness of the corners as opposed to the traditional wrapping method, but I understand there are many others who prefer the traditional way.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 11:37:15 am »

I spend hundreds of dollars a month on the igwrappes (I get mine from it supplies because BC's $40 shipping charges get old). I always wrap the canvas onto the back and staple it regardless of size. I've done 10x10" s up to 40x40"s with great success. the line of glue is absolutely critical, this is what holds the canvas taut. try to take one apart and you'll see that it's got some really good holding power. I far prefer the corners (and my clients notice too) on these bars, I feel that wrapping the back makes it look more finished and more importantly keeps anything on the side from coming loose. the tape is quite sticky, but when you flush cut it any contact makes a little loose spot on the edge.

David Ryan Taylor

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 01:47:47 pm »

Long time and frequent user of the Hahnemuhle/IG Pro bars here. I also use a staple gun to augment the glue and adhesive strip. We do large canvases pretty frequently, including a recent 4x12 foot pano (four 4'x3' panels). I do a slight alteration of their recommended assembly, it stretches much tighter and doesn't have any corner sagging. After positioning the assembled frame on the back of the print, I cut the corners off the paper (I'll upload a (horrible) graphic of my method, since I'm not at our print studio to take a photo). Hope this helps.

David Ryan Taylor

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 02:05:42 pm »

Here's the quick graphic for how I cut my canvas corners prior to stretching them. The 'green' represents my cutting mat.

hugowolf

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 12:27:29 pm »

Here's the quick graphic for how I cut my canvas corners prior to stretching them. The 'green' represents my cutting mat.

So if you staple with this cut, you have staples visible, no?

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up