Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya Rz shift 75mm and mirror lockup  (Read 2649 times)

RomanN.

Mamiya Rz shift 75mm and mirror lockup
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:04 am »

hi,
I tested just now few lenses on Mamiya RZ with Leaf Aptus back. I used for mirror lockup the two parts cable and it works well with 110 mm and 210 Apo lens. But with shift 75 lens it dont function. Could it be that the mirror lock up dont function at the shift lens becouse the shutter must be drow up manually? Without shutter release its hard to get sharp image on my tripod and mamiya RZ.
thanks in advance
roman

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: Mamiya Rz shift 75mm and mirror lockup
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:54:30 am »

Hi Roman,

it should work, I´m not familiar with this two cable solution though. I assume it works like you would apply a single cable release to the lens, make sure the red ring get visible when screwing in as this is what prevents the shutter from being released at the first step when your mirror goes up. Everything works fine here. At what step exactly is your setup giving you trouble?

Cheers, Ulf

RomanN.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »

Ulf, thanks a lot for your informations. I get this problem only with my shift lens 75 mm, at all other lenses the mirror lock up function well.
Only with the shift lens not. My idea was, that this problem has something with the shift lens, that must be cocked manually. I thought that mybe this stepp that is different to the other lenses makes mirror lock up not possible. When I use the cable solution with other lenses all works fine: first the body lock up the mirror than in second stepp the other cable fire the lens.
When I change the lens to the shift it does not function: the body lock up the mirror at the same time as the lens shutter fire- so usuall case without mirror lock up. When I change the lens to a normal lens like 110 mm- without changing the cable on the camera, the mirror lock up function well again- absolutly strange. I have done it for some times with check of all, but I cant find the reason for this.

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:04:50 pm »

There is a sliding switch on the 75mm shift lens barrel that is used to manually set the leaf shutter.

UlfKrentz

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:22:10 pm »

Hi Roman,

OK, I just double checked, our 75 shift lens is working as expected. Not sure which sliding switch there should be? I only have that T/N slider which is on every lens and this should be in N mode, but even in T mode it is working with the mirror up function. So if you screw in a cable release in the lens does the thread lift out and show the red ring? If so I suspect there will be something wrong with your lens. Just to be sure, did you check the camera battery, I found about 99% of all mysterious behavior of the RZ was caused by a weak battery. Good luck!

Cheers, Ulf

RomanN.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 06:18:21 pm »

Thanks for the help. Ulf, you are right, the lens is not OK.
 I played a bit with the cable release and find out the the screw shows red ring but at this position the screw shake too much- probably to much use-and therefore this not function well. It fuction only when I fix the screw with my hand. I think the former user need this too much. I get the lens from a commercial dealer on the bay, but it is some moth ago, so I think I must take a look for somebody who can service it. But for some pics I can go this way first.
Another question: How is the performans of the 75 shift at you when using digital?
I made only few pics, but my first verdict is that the lens is pretty soft on my Leaf 12. OK, I dont expect that the lens will be as sharp as digitar 72 mm, but it is also much wors than Super Angulon xl 72 mm, that I also tested. Also the standart Mamiya rz67 lens 110 mm perform really good, perfect sharpness at 11.  The Mamiya shift 4/50 mm from 645 system perform also much better than my 75 mm.
Maybe is something wrong with my copy?
What are yours experienses?

UlfKrentz

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:13:07 am »

Hi Roman,

Sorry to hear, but chances are good your dealer is one of the nice kind. My experience has been very good even with ebay dealers, you might give it a try, you have got nothing to loose anyway :-)
Now regarding to performance of the RZ lenses, they where calculated for 6x7cm film size and you cannot expect them to perform like modern "digital" lenses, though you probably still get a better result when using the shift function than corecting geometry afterwards. There are lenses throughout the range which perform extremely well while other are mediocre and of course they might also vary a bit from copy to copy. That said, I very much like the rendering / look of the RZ glass, we use it with an Aptus 10 which is not too far from your 12 pixelwise. I won´t use it for jewellery stills or that kind of work but for portraits / cosmetic ads I really dig the look. Have fun!

Cheers, Ulf
Pages: [1]   Go Up