Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Secret Passage  (Read 979 times)

DwayneOakes

The Secret Passage
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:24:12 pm »

Thanks for taking a look !
Rattle Snake Point, Ontario, Canada

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: The Secret Passage
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:05:33 am »

I like the mystery in the photo. In my monitor, the image has a strange green cast to it, is it real?

churly

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:56:52 am »

Nice light and composition that support the 'secret'.  It looks a bit green to me as well but my color perception is not reliable in the greens.
Chuck Hurich

francois

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:03:12 am »

Lovely, a good place to meet up with a druid!
Francois

DwayneOakes

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:00 pm »

Thank you very much for the comments everyone !
Some green algae on the rocks maybe causing the
green glow.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:41:19 pm »

I’m offering up some criticism in the spirit of trying to be helpful, because I think you have taken on a very difficult subject and not quite succeeded.  This seems to be one of those subjects that is awesome in real life, but presents big challenges if you want to convey that feeling through a photograph, and even more difficult to also make it a design that is pleasing to the eye.

I think the composition needs improvement.  If I squint my eyes and look at this I neither recognize anything nor see a pleasing composition.  I can’t find a focal point and the image is confusing to me - at first glance I can’t tell if the lighted rock surface is in the foreground or the background. Eventually I see that it is background, but I can never determine what the dark patch on the right is.

How to fix all this?  I can only offer some starting points.   Assuming the bright area is background it would be helpful if you could find an angle that showed an object (another rock or better yet a green plant) that was partway into the passage on the left.  That way part of it would be occluded by the dark wall on the left and that would be a signal to the brain that the bright rock surface was background. Also it might serve as a focal point and solve that problem as well.

I would not be afraid to take the liberty (after all this is art and not photojournalism) to alter the lighting so that the brightest surface is to the far left (a couple more feet to the left and down a bit) of the lighted background and then gets gradually dimmer going to the right and down into the foreground. This would perhaps lead the eye “into the passage” and make it more recognizable.

I’m not bothered at all by the green on the rock.  Green algae is very common on rock in dark and moist locations like this apparently is. The green rock is actually a signal to me and I can feel its cold slipperiness and smell the dampness.

So there's my two cents..this is a mysterious and intriguing subject that is extremely difficult to convey as an understandable and pleasing graphic design – quite a challenge.  

DwayneOakes

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:17:30 pm »

I’m offering up some criticism in the spirit of trying to be helpful, because I think you have taken on a very difficult subject and not quite succeeded.  This seems to be one of those subjects that is awesome in real life, but presents big challenges if you want to convey that feeling through a photograph, and even more difficult to also make it a design that is pleasing to the eye.

I think the composition needs improvement.  If I squint my eyes and look at this I neither recognize anything nor see a pleasing composition.  I can’t find a focal point and the image is confusing to me - at first glance I can’t tell if the lighted rock surface is in the foreground or the background. Eventually I see that it is background, but I can never determine what the dark patch on the right is.

How to fix all this?  I can only offer some starting points.   Assuming the bright area is background it would be helpful if you could find an angle that showed an object (another rock or better yet a green plant) that was partway into the passage on the left.  That way part of it would be occluded by the dark wall on the left and that would be a signal to the brain that the bright rock surface was background. Also it might serve as a focal point and solve that problem as well.

I would not be afraid to take the liberty (after all this is art and not photojournalism) to alter the lighting so that the brightest surface is to the far left (a couple more feet to the left and down a bit) of the lighted background and then gets gradually dimmer going to the right and down into the foreground. This would perhaps lead the eye “into the passage” and make it more recognizable.

I’m not bothered at all by the green on the rock.  Green algae is very common on rock in dark and moist locations like this apparently is. The green rock is actually a signal to me and I can feel its cold slipperiness and smell the dampness.

So there's my two cents..this is a mysterious and intriguing subject that is extremely difficult to convey as an understandable and pleasing graphic design – quite a challenge.  

Awesome cc thanks for taking a time !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up