Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuscany in October  (Read 4805 times)

Graham Welland

Tuscany in October
« on: September 25, 2005, 05:07:23 pm »

I'm in Milan on business for 10 days starting Monday and i've got the first weekend of October free and so I'm planning on taking a brief trip to Tuscany for the weekend. Given the short amount of time I'd like to add some of the cliche'd Tuscany landscape images to my collection - you know, twisty roads, cypress trees, villa on a hill etc. I assume I need to be in the environs of Siena for this (Montechiello, La Crete, Flore etc) - can anyone give me some more precise or other suggestions for such a short trip?

Thanks.
Graham

hubell

Tuscany in October
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 10:01:55 am »

I would recommend the area around Asciano and the side roads north, south and west of Pienza and San Quirico. Get yourself a very detailed map ofthe back roads in that area and go get lost! This general area has much of the quintessential rolling Tuscan landscape. It is south of the Chianti area, which I have not found neraly as evocative for landscape photography. It is quite heavily wooded. OTOH, the vineyards in Chianti could be quite interesting in Spt./October.

camilla

Tuscany in October
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 04:54:00 pm »

If you are looking for a fabulous place to stay in, it's called Vignamaggio- absolutely marvelous and everything you want to photograph around it...

Enjoy your trip- I'm from Rome myself but Tuscany is one of my favorite places to travel to- besides Umbria and Capri!
Ciao

http://www.lodgephoto.com/galleries/italy-...ti/vignamaggio/

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
Tuscany in October
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 04:27:05 am »

I would recommend staying in San Quirico d'Orcia, which is close to all the places mentioned. There are two quite decent hotels, the Casanova which is a photographer's haunt and the Palaziollo. They are at either end of the town. Two classic views are within a very short drive. The view over the Val d'Orcia from Belvedere and a stand of trees in a field that appears on a lot of postcards. A little further down the road, there  is a chapel on a hill called the Vitalleta which also appears a lot in famous photos. There are two classic twisty roads in the vicinity with the cypruses. Unfortunately, I do have a map in front of me jsut now. Monteciello, Siena etc are all close by as well as that famous abbey (cannot remember the name). Another small chapel with cypruses is easily reachable at Lucignano d'Asso.
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

Graham Welland

Tuscany in October
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 05:08:38 am »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions ... I'm staying just outside Siena but I'll be sure to trek the areas mentioned!
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up