Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another up-res question...  (Read 3054 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Another up-res question...
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »

Sorry I'm late to this thread as I've been away photographing.

Here's a solution that works well for me...

1.  Set up the Print module as if you making your final print - same size, same margins, etc., etc.
2.  Take your right margin and drag it over to provide a 2" or 3" test strip. Yes, you are using the same, larger size paper, but you'll be able to make a series of test strips for this photo (and others).
3.  Drag your image inside this long, narrow test strip to show the area you want to see proofed. This is what I find really helpful as I can see a strip from top to bottom.
4. Ensure all your print settings are correct and hit Print.
5.  Further test strips can be made on the same sheet be dragging your left margin to the right and your right margin another 2" or 3" further right. Surprisingly, Lightroom "remembers" what part of the photo you printed in the previous strip.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 06:20:34 pm »

Sorry I'm late to this thread as I've been away photographing.

Here's a solution that works well for me...

1.  Set up the Print module as if you making your final print - same size, same margins, etc., etc.
2.  Take your right margin and drag it over to provide a 2" or 3" test strip. Yes, you are using the same, larger size paper, but you'll be able to make a series of test strips for this photo (and others).
3.  Drag your image inside this long, narrow test strip to show the area you want to see proofed. This is what I find really helpful as I can see a strip from top to bottom.
4. Ensure all your print settings are correct and hit Print.
5.  Further test strips can be made on the same sheet be dragging your left margin to the right and your right margin another 2" or 3" further right. Surprisingly, Lightroom "remembers" what part of the photo you printed in the previous strip.

I can see this for sheet, but for roll?  You are still going to print to the full size of the page selected so for example on a 23 x 33 the page run through the printer will still be the full 23 x 33.  You can reload the sheet, but with roll, you would have to reload the piece and set to sheet. 

Workable yes, but for a large canvas, not as you can't really load a large sheet of canvas very easily, or without a scratch.  say a 36 x 72 where I want to take a 8 x 20 test. 

I may have something not visually working with your example, but I still can't see a way to just print a 6 x 40 test strip from a 28 x 40 (24 x 36 with allowance for GW) without running the entire page size, in this a page large enough to print the 28 x 40 and allow for extra canvas to use for stretching. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 02:30:57 pm »

Hi Paul,

I understand why this wouldn't be ideal for roll or canvas. Here are three screen captures to show the set-up I use for making test strips using single sheets. It can be set up for any sized paper, but in this case, I set it up for a 28x40" on a 30x40" sheet. TestStripFull shows the full image lay out; TestStrip1 shows the settings for the 1st strip; TestStrip2 for the 2nd strip on the same page.
Note 1:  The same section of the image automatically fills the strip.
Note 2: This works when the images is set as "Zoom to Fill" under Image Settings.
Note 3: Each test strip is saved as a preset for future work.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up