Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Suggetsion gfor Kenya  (Read 4809 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Camera Suggetsion gfor Kenya
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:18:33 am »

We have friends who are going to Kenya for a two week trip in the last half of August and they asked me for a camera recommendation.  Their itinerary includes a lot of general site seeing and a couple of safaris, one being a walking safari.  They are not photo enthusiasts so something simple is in order and their budget is $200, up to maximum of $500.  Probably something along the lines of an advanced point and shoot camera then with the following characteristics:
  • wide range of zoom for landscape, family/street to wildlife
  • image stabilization as they wont be using tri-pod
  • nothing too obviously expensive looking
  • good quality images, in JPEG
  • simple to use

My wife has offered to loan them her Lumix DMC-ZS25 which looks like it would fit the bill nicely, but I am not up to speed at all on these types of cameras and the Panasonic is about 1.5 years old now so likely newer and better models have been released since then.  Any suggestions?  

[size=12p

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Camera Suggetsion gfor Kenya
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:28:09 am »

I have been extremely impressed with my wife's Nikon Coolpix L820. Excellent zoom range, image stab, decent video, astounding image quality for a $200 camera. One caveat, it is a battery-eater so the use of rechargeables is wise.

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:44:43 am »

We have friends who are going to Kenya for a two week trip in the last half of August and they asked me for a camera recommendation.  Their itinerary includes a lot of general site seeing and a couple of safaris, one being a walking safari.  They are not photo enthusiasts so something simple is in order and their budget is $200, up to maximum of $500.  Probably something along the lines of an advanced point and shoot camera then with the following characteristics:
  • wide range of zoom for landscape, family/street to wildlife
  • image stabilization as they wont be using tri-pod
  • nothing too obviously expensive looking
  • good quality images, in JPEG
  • simple to use

My wife has offered to loan them her Lumix DMC-ZS25 which looks like it would fit the bill nicely, but I am not up to speed at all on these types of cameras and the Panasonic is about 1.5 years old now so likely newer and better models have been released since then.  Any suggestions?  

I would suggest that they get the Nikon All Weather Camera - AW120
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-AW120.html

This one camera that would give them extreme peace of mind (unless it is stolen), as it will "weather" in any weather including dunking in the rivers.
Ajoy Roy, image processing

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »

One of those lens built in models (to avoid the ever-present dust) that zooms from 24 to 400mm (you need 400mm for the wildlife) would be ideal. The faster the lens, the better (and the more expensive). Dust sealed would also be great (but ziplocks work well, too).

Over on dpreview.com, use the Cameras > Camera feature search menu item and under Optics & Focus select 25mm, 320mm, F2.8 and there are 16 cameras to choose from. All but one are under $500 except for the highest rated, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 (80%, but $600). The second-highest rating of 76% went to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 at $499. This might, at least, help to narrow your search.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:27 pm »

how about an iphone with a $35 12X telephoto attachment like this one
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:48:46 pm by lowep »
Pages: [1]   Go Up