Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: L.A. skyline - suggestions for locations  (Read 2561 times)

chandsa

L.A. skyline - suggestions for locations
« on: July 11, 2014, 03:52:54 pm »

Hello folks,

I'll be in Orange County for about 6 days next week. I've seen some amazing photographs of the skyline of L.A. and would like to indulge in taking some panorama shots of the skyline. I'll be very grateful if you can share some locations that are good vantage points and are safe to be in around sunrise/sunset. If you have any suggestions for sunset locations along the PCH I'd appreciate it if you can chime in on that as well!

I've got a couple of trips in mind while down in Orange County. One is to head to Anza Borrego Desert State Park to Fonts Point for sunrise/sunset. I know that its almost mid-summer and the desert will be experiencing extremes of temperature, but i'd like to get your thoughts on how sensible/foolish it would be to head out there for a sunrise/sunset shot. Another one I wanted to do was Joshua Tree National park, but again I don't know if it even makes sense to drive these distances or just confine myself to areas in and around Orange County.

Many thanks in advance for your opinions/suggestions!

Cheers!
Sai

Mjollnir

Re: L.A. skyline - suggestions for locations
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:11 am »

There are numerous places to get the skyline of LA, esp. if you're interested in including the downtown buildings, the two most classic being from Griffith Observatory (which is also great for night architecture photos) and Kenneth Hahn Park, but KH closes at Sunset.

One thing to be careful with, though, at the Observatory:  crowds.  I tried to get to it last night to show it and the view to my parents-in-law, about 1930 hours or so, and the line of cars from both direction was astounding.  Never seen the like of it before there, AND there was a concert going on at the Greek Theater, just down the hill.  From the Fern Dell direction, for some inexplicable reason, they weren't even letting cars into the upper parking lot.

There are also numerous pulls-offs from Mulholland Drive, the best probably being the Hollywood Bowl "Overlook".

pluton

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:36 pm »

L.A skyline:  The view from K.Hahn Park is the current generation's "approved" stock shot of downtown L.A. skyline, since if clarity of air and weather cooperate you can get the San Gabriel Mountains behind..
The Griffith Observatory grounds offer a flatter, less exciting view, but it still could be nice depending on the weather/sky.
To me the more interesting views of the big downtown skyline[such as it is] are the views from the south and east that I see while passing through on the elevated freeway,but to find a non-roadway, elevated spot to photograph from involves much exploration by car and foot.  The best views may be from the roofs of industrial buildings.
 The Anza Borrego Desert SP and Joshua Tree NP adventures would each represent a days excursion from OC.
Expect temperatures to be warm at sunrise and hot during the day and sunset. Take extra water/food and be prepared to duck into various restaurants and Walmarts(and bars?) to cool off during the mid-day, or use the hot, bleary, bleak and flat-lit midday time to travel to another location.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:45:40 pm by pluton »

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:09:21 pm »

Downtown LA High Rise Skyline - You need to be closer than Griffith Observatory if you want the downtown skyline to be prominent.  It is 5 miles away.  I think the best is as was suggested by Pluton.  South and east of downtown on a rooftop.  See the attached from the top of a 10 story office building near the corner of 12th and Broadway - due south of the skyline.  Another possibility is the public observation platform at the top of 26 story tall City Hall.  But I imagine that it closes with normal business hours.  Another possibility for a fairly unobstructed view is from one of the bridges over the LA River about 1 mile east of the high rise skyline. 
Good luck

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:12:41 pm »

As mentioned earlier, Griffith Park Observatory, Kenneth Hahn Park and Mulholland Drive are 3 of the iconic locations for shooting the LA downtown skyline.

Another, non-classic location is from Echo Park Lake, which has recently been renovated.  I have not been there recently (the attached picture is from a few years ago), but it might be interesting.

Paul

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:14:29 pm by Paul Sumi »
Pages: [1]   Go Up