Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pondering  (Read 3823 times)

Andres Bonilla

Re: Pondering
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 07:09:50 pm »

Russ have you reached the owner of LULA website? Matbe his webmaster has some clue.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 12:38:23 pm »

Hi Andres, Yep, I got back on my laptop this morning and got it to fail too in bringing up a couple pictures. It seems to be completely random. LuLa is the only site I have a problem with. I can bring up pictures at 500px all day long, and the same thing's true of other sites. I wish I could find another site that uses LuLa's index.php dynamic method of retrieving the larger photo. That's the only difference I can see between LuLa and the other picture sites I've tried, and since both my computers often try to bring up a LuLa picture in DreamWeaver, I'm almost sure that's where the problem lies. That doesn't mean the problem's at the LuLa end. It could be a problem with my CenturyLink router, though why that would start happening suddenly I can't explain.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 04:34:48 pm »

Russ ,FWIW, I dont think LULA has changed anything or there would issues with other users. Makes me think that somehow you triggered something on your end to cause your plight. Can you think of anything that you might have done? I believe you said you had a Windows auto update, anything else?

Peter

RSL

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 06:18:06 pm »

It's not either computer, Peter. The same thing happens with both of them. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the DSL service I'm getting from CenturyLink. Interestingly enough, I haven't been able to get the laptop to screw up a download as long as it's connected through wifi, but when I connect it directly to the CenturyLink router it occasionally will give me a scrambled picture. It's all pretty random. But, of course, once I download a scrambled picture it's in my cache, and the only way I can have a chance of correcting it is to purge the cache. That means I've got to start all over with the pictures that came through okay. Second time around a bunch of those will end up screwed up. I'm convinced that part of the problem is LuLa's method of using the "index.php?" dynamic method of retrieving the picture; not that that's something LuLa shouldn't do. But since both computers often try to download the picture into DreamWeaver I suspect the hyperlink string gets truncated on the way down and leaves off the rest of the command line. That probably would be a DSL or a router problem. I really need to find another web site with pictures that uses index.php? so I can confirm my suspicion.

degrub

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »

Reboot the router ?
Memory errors perhaps ?

Frank

RSL

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 01:13:35 pm »

Hi Frank, Three reboots already on the bridge/router, which the company mistakenly calls a modem. No change. On Monday I'm going to call in and get them to check the lines and their local equipment.

degrub

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 02:37:52 pm »

If the WAP is integrated into the modem/router, then likely no issue with the DSL or ISP. It might be a hardware/firmware issue on the hardwire side. I wonder if the ISP pushed an update out?

I had similar issues with a Cisco rv4000 and wap4410 setup where the router software would eventually lockup and not allow web pages to fully load. Usually a reboot would clear it for a while. Replaced it with a rv325 and all the issues went away.

Does the problem follow all ports and cables ?

Frank

RSL

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 09:50:05 pm »

Thanks, Frank. At this point I know the problem isn't with my own equipment. Next stop a friendly talk with CenturyLink. I have to confess I'm still not convinced that something didn't happen at the LuLa end, but if nobody else is having a problem I pretty much have to write that off.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up