Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Praise be unto the 7900  (Read 656 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Praise be unto the 7900
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:10:26 pm »

A variety of personal issues left my 7900 unused for 5 weeks - no printing, no nozzle checks, no head cleaning. When I returned to printing, it was with some trepidation. Yet, with only a standard head cleaning, the printer got right back to creating gorgeous prints without a single hiccup. Bravo!

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Praise be unto the 7900
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:37:41 pm »

I've had a 7900 for 5.5 years and leave it sit idle several times each year, typically for between 2 to 6 weeks (average 4 weeks). There is often no clogging at all and sometimes there's a minor clog that clears in one or two "normal" cleanings. A few weeks ago, after a 4 week idle period with no clogs, and subsequent daily use for a full week the printer had its first clog in over 3 months, which included other shorter idle periods. I suspect this was caused by gunk on the wiper since most of of a channel and the one immediately adjacent to it were gone. I needed to use a "powerful" cleaning for the first time ever to clear everything up.

The only very predictable thing in any of this is counter-intuitive. The printer is always much better behaved in winter when its environment is dry (around 32%-35%) and cool at around 62 to 65 degrees F. In summer when the temperatures are between 70 and 75 degrees F and the humidity is 50% to 60% I can count on much more frequent clogging. That cycle has repeated itself every year like clockwork. The only other thing I've noticed is that on average the frequency of clogs has declined as the printer ages. In other words, summer is always worse than winter, but the first summer was much worse than the 5th summer. Likewise, the first winter was much worse than the 5th winter.
- Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up