Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom after a subscription ends  (Read 12430 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

Re: Lightroom after a subscription ends
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »

Jeff, I was probably just confused !

To be slightly pedantic “version” can mean version as in the iteration of the software as in “version 1.X.Y”; or version as in “Photoshop Heavy” is a different version of Photoshop than “Photoshop Light”; or version as in a perpetually functional version or time limited functioning depending on a subscription payment version.

Tom Hogan's reply to (his own question) is that there will not be a different version of Lightroom.  Take your pick from the above.  Or make statements that, like yours Jeff, are clear and unequivocal and not open to misunderstanding.  This has not exactly been Adobe’s forté recently.

The news that John Beardsworthy imparts is indeed good, and as a subscriber, I welcome it.

Apologies to all for my red herring.

Perhaps Adobe could adopt plain speaking in the future.  It has a lot going for it.

Thanks to Jeff Schewe for making things clearer (I hope Adobe pay you for this, Jeff)  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:53:05 pm by Simon J.A. Simpson »

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 06:49:58 pm »

I'm not the only one confused.  From Tom Hogan's blog…

What happens to Lightroom after my membership ends?

Disgruntled Lightroom user:
I purchased LR at version 1.
I’ve paid for every upgrade since, and opted in to adobes original limited time offer bundle with Photodhop CC. Adobe later made it “permanent “. At that time adobe stated LR was to continue as a perpetual stand alone product. That’s why I bought the bundle subscription. As far as I’m concerned I have a perpetual license for LR (all the modules!). Adobes offer at the time should stand.

If I don’t have a perpetual LR licence, how can I revert to my last perpetual licence? Will you still offer paid upgrades so I can remain current, or have you totally reversed your original offer so that to remain current with LR I have to abandon the perp license for the subscription?

As far as I can tell, this new policy is not what was offered when I opted into the photography bundle and I’m both concerned and upset.

So, I'm not the only one who has misunderstood.

Just so you know “membership model” seems to equate to “subscription model”.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 08:10:36 pm »

@Simon A. J. Simpson, If you upgraded to the latest Perpetual Licensed version which is LR 5 then you presently have two licenses to Lightroom Version 5, one is a subscription license with the Creative Cloud and the other is a Perpetual License. So if you decide to stop your CC subscription now you can revert to using your perpetual license, what will then happen you will also loose the use of Photoshop CC and Lightroom mobile if you are using that feature to sync your work with your iPad and iPhone.
The LR 5.5 perpetual license is still being marketed by Adobe and they have indicated that Lightroom will continue to be sold as a perpetual license for the foreseeable future.
You are actually better off now with this anouncment, earlier if you had stopped your subscription Lightroom and Photoshop CC would have stopped functioning completly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:18:52 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 08:52:46 pm »

I guess that I have fallen victim to Adobe's poor communications.

Quoting from Tom Hogarty's blog:
“Q. Will there be a different version of Lightroom called Lightroom CC?
A. No.”

I am conflating “subscription” with “CC” (Creative Cloud).  So, will there be a different subscription version of Lightroom ?  No, I mean yes; or do I ?  See here: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom Rick Popham's reply.

Well that's clear then (not).

BTW, Jeff, you are clear.  And thank you.

My apologies, Simon. I went back and read my post again and you're right -- it was ambiguous.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:12 pm »

I agree that the communication has been a bit confusing at times. However I have always been of the view that with the introduction of the Creative Cloud Photographers package, i.e when Lightroom 5 was included at the same subscription price with Photoshop CC $9.99 per month that the inclusion of Lightroom in the package it was "gratis" and not the purchase of a "Lightroom Perpetual License". And it was confirmed that Lightroom would continue to be sold as a standalone package indefinitely.

To whit if you already had a Lightroom 5 perpetual license and then subscribed to the Photographers Package in Creative Cloud you now had two Licenses for LR5. One of which was tied to your continuing subscription payments. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:31:45 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 10:56:00 pm »

(I hope Adobe pay you for this, Jeff)  ;D

Adobe pays me nothing except for an occasional usage fee is they want to use one of my images...really, I don't work for Adobe.

Doc

• http://www.52photos.com
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 08:48:32 am »

Have you all seen the following ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozbf05w0cPQ&list=UUFJ7r70nIWRe0mJ2lp7NAsA

... a bit so so  .... very glad I have the perpetual licence.
(Wish it were the same for Photoshop.)
Learning everyday !

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:35 am »

That video is what this thread is about. I'm not sure I understand your point

Doc

• http://www.52photos.com
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 12:47:39 am »

That video is what this thread is about. I'm not sure I understand your point

I was only pointing out another source to the discussion.
And adding the fact that I, like others, am pleased Adobe has kept LR as a separate entity as it were.
Learning everyday !
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up