Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom after a subscription ends  (Read 12419 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Lightroom after a subscription ends
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »

What happens to your Lightroom work when you stop subscribing? It's always been a worry but Lightroom 5.5 has a significant licensing change - Lightroom will keep working after you end your subscription or trial. Only Develop and Map will fail to work, but you can do anything else. Read more here.

Any thoughts?

John
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:25:41 am by john beardsworth »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Lightroom after a subscription ends
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:11:17 pm »

I hope you are referring to the version of Lightroom that is part of a CC package as opposed to the stand-alone version that many of us have. "Have you stopped subscribing to Lightroom?" sounds a lot like "Have you stopped beating your wife?" to many of us.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 06:20:03 pm »

I know what you mean, but losing access to your work was a huge downside of subscription and Adobe's move has addressed that - at least for Lightroom. I don't know if it's wider, but I don't think so.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »

If you have a perpetual license to LR, what John asked isn't relative...it only applies to those people whose license to LR is by subscription.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:16:49 pm »

It seems that the intention for the subscription model is to give you the latest tools to edit and process your images but not to prevent access to your finished jobs. With Photoshop you have the option to save your final work as a flattened tiff, which can be read by other application. Layered PSD's with smart objects that you might want to modify later on? those are work in progress (I accept that others might disagree).

In the case of Lightroom, the main concern was not to be able to export your images before deciding to end the subscription but losing all the effort put in the Library, that would have been an issue of not being able to access your "finished" work.

I also guess that this is a move in the direction of having future releases of LR in subscription only mode.

BTW, I am fine with the subscription model and a believer of cloud computing in general. We are still in the early stages and there are many issues still unanswered.

Here is a question for those of you that oppose the cloud and think that your files are better in your own computer at home: Do you keep your money under your mattress or you have it in a bank?

Regards

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:30:50 pm »

I also guess that this is a move in the direction of having future releases of LR in subscription only mode.

At least, it makes it much less objectionable.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:50 am »

I'll still get the perpetual version.  It reduces the value (for me) of the Photography Bundle but it doesn't require the internet leash of CC, which makes it great for laptop travel use.

@Frank:  The money I have in the bank is insured by the FDIC.  Most of the "Cloud" terms of service I've seen go to great lengths to absolve themselves of any sort of liability. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:54:21 am by Rick Popham »

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 04:58:34 am »

What happens to your Lightroom work when you stop subscribing? It's always been a worry but Lightroom 5.5 has a significant licensing change - Lightroom will keep working after you end your subscription or trial. Only Develop and Map will fail to work, but you can do anything else. Read more here.

Any thoughts?

John

John, I'm not sure this is correct.  Where did you get this from ?

Those of us who purchased the ‘Photographers Bundle’ were told that Lightroom was a perpetual, not a subscription, license.

Are you now saying that with the upgrade to Lightroom 5.5 this has changed ?  You can checked Adobe's published terms, those that we agree to when signing-up, here: General Terms – and no mention is made of these new conditions here or any other of Adobe’s documentation; that I can find.

We did have a discussion on this subject here New Photoshop CC and Lightroom and the pundits concluded that Lightroom still exists as a perpetual license whether bought as a stand alone produce or as part of the Creative Cloud subscription.

Of course, this may change with Lightroom 6.  But we won't really know until it is released or Adobe publishes details.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 06:13:30 am »

@Frank:  The money I have in the bank is insured by the FDIC.  Most of the "Cloud" terms of service I've seen go to great lengths to absolve themselves of any sort of liability. 

I agree. That's why I said we are still in the early stages. There is no balance and lack or adequate regulation. It has to evolve and increase trust and we will get there.

Those of us who purchased the ‘Photographers Bundle’ were told that Lightroom was a perpetual, not a subscription, license.

That's not my understanding. You have the option to buy the perpetual license, but if you get LR as part of CC, then you can use as long as you stay as a suscriber.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 07:36:56 am »

John, I'm not sure this is correct.  Where did you get this from ?

Are you now saying that with the upgrade to Lightroom 5.5 this has changed ?  You can checked Adobe's published terms, those that we agree to when signing-up, here: General Terms – and no mention is made of these new conditions here or any other of Adobe’s documentation; that I can find.

We did have a discussion on this subject here New Photoshop CC and Lightroom and the pundits concluded that Lightroom still exists as a perpetual license whether bought as a stand alone produce or as part of the Creative Cloud subscription.

Of course, this may change with Lightroom 6.  But we won't really know until it is released or Adobe publishes details.

I don't think one should get into debating whether it's a perpetual licence or a subscription one, Simon, and I don't think Adobe would need to change the documentation here. Instead what's happened is that they've relaxed how the program behaves once it's no longer licensed after the end of a 30 day trial or ending the subscription. Previously, Lightroom wouldn't let you do anything, but now it only stops you going into the Develop and Map modules.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:34 am »

John, I'm not sure this is correct.  
He is correct.

As to the answer, it's no different than those working with Photoshop CS6 or earlier. Prior to pulling the subscription plug (if you're so sure that's the right move), you render the raws as TIFFs. It's not a very acceptable answer for me, hence I'll stick with LR (and Photoshop).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:42 am »

There's now an official statement confirming it.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48:29 am »

I don't see it expressed explicitly, but I do assume that if a subscription for Lightroom (and Photoshop CC) is ended that you can buy a license and continue workshop on all photos in any Lightroom catalog. And not only now but in any future release of Lightroom.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 05:58:09 am »

Yes, but that was true before this change. What's new is that after the subscription ends, you don't now need to buy a licence to continue to use LR - only if you wanted to use Develop or Map.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 06:19:10 am »

I my comment, I meant full use of Lightroom including all modules.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 01:05:32 pm »

He is correct.

Ummm.  Really ?

I seem to recollect in the heated exchanges when the subscription model was first introduced, and then the 'Photographers' Bundle' was offered to us, that the version of Lightroom included was not configured to run in a ‘subscription’ Creative Cloud mode but in a ‘perpetual license’ mode and would not therefore expire.  I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Jeff Schewe saying something to this effect.  Tom Hoggarty, Lightroom's Product Manager certainly did.  See this URL Lightroom and the Creative Cloud.  This is directly contradicted by Adobe's latest announcement.

The official announcement confirming Lightroom's impermanence, that John Beardsworth refers to, was made only yesterday.

It now seems to be the case that, at least from version 5.5 onwards, that Lightroom is now in subscription Creative Cloud mode and will therefore expire if you do not keep up your subscription payments.  Whilst I laud the decision to keep all the modules working with the exception of Develop and Maps this does mean a change of the terms of the original contract which in the UK, at least, would be ruled unlawful.  The original terms would still have to apply over the duration of the original contract.

Sadly, this double talking contradictory nonsense does nothing to enhance Adobe’s repuation.

Schewe

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 01:27:20 pm »

I seem to recollect in the heated exchanges when the subscription model was first introduced, and then the 'Photographers' Bundle' was offered to us, that the version of Lightroom included was not configured to run in a ‘subscription’ Creative Cloud mode but in a ‘perpetual license’ mode and would not therefore expire.

You are wrong...while Lightroom will continue to be available as a perpetual license (stand alone separate purchase), the license for Lightroom when purchased through CC is a subscription license and it will expire when the subscription ends.

There are two models for Lightroom; perpetual and subscription. Unless you buy a perpetual license, the subscription license is dependent continued subscription.

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »

It now seems to be the case that, at least from version 5.5 onwards, that Lightroom is now in subscription Creative Cloud mode and will therefore expire if you do not keep up your subscription payments.

It's amazing how many different interpretations can be put on these announcements, I don't know how you read that particular one into what's has been said.

I think, but am always happy to be proved wrong, that it is quite simple. You either buy a perpetual licence for LR that works as it always has done, or you can sign up for one of the CC packages in which case it is a subscription licence and will stop working if you stop paying (although following yesterday's announcement LR will now work in a restricted made if you stop paying rather than not working at all).  If you do both (i.e. you have a perpetual licence and then also sign up to CC) it doesn't invalidate or cancel your perpetual licence.

So what's not to like?  If you prefer the perpetual licence model you can go on buying upgrades as you always have, or you can dive into CC and be sure you'll still be able to manage your library and create prints if you decide to stop paying.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 01:56:45 pm »

You are wrong...while Lightroom will continue to be available as a perpetual license (stand alone separate purchase), the license for Lightroom when purchased through CC is a subscription license and it will expire when the subscription ends.

There are two models for Lightroom; perpetual and subscription. Unless you buy a perpetual license, the subscription license is dependent continued subscription.

I guess that I have fallen victim to Adobe's poor communications.

Quoting from Tom Hogarty's blog:
“Q. Will there be a different version of Lightroom called Lightroom CC?
A. No.”

I am conflating “subscription” with “CC” (Creative Cloud).  So, will there be a different subscription version of Lightroom ?  No, I mean yes; or do I ?  See here: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom Rick Popham's reply.

Well that's clear then (not).

BTW, Jeff, you are clear.  And thank you.

Schewe

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 02:21:05 pm »

Quoting from Tom Hogarty's blog:
“Q. Will there be a different version of Lightroom called Lightroom CC?
A. No.”

You were confusing "version" with "licensing model"...LR CC and perpetual are the same "version" just with different licensing. One needs a serial number the other needs a subscription.

And the point John was making, with the subscription model going forward, you don't lose the ability to launch LR after the end of the subscriptions, you lose the ability to use certain functions but can still access your catalog.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up