Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protective Spray on prints-# of coatings, on glossy ink papers?  (Read 2139 times)

dgillilan

Hello,
I have used Hahnemuhle protective spray on my matte-ink papers for years and never had a problem. I recently ordered a new supply and ordered Moab desert varnish since the Hahne. was out of stock. It seems to be similar quality and ingredients.
The questions I have are:
How many coatings do you spray onto matte-ink prints?
Do you spray these products onto gloss-ink prints and if yes, how many coats? What degree of gloss would you use this on(i.e., not on anything more glossy than a pearl type paper?)
I have not sprayed my super glossy prints, (which I have gotten away from using the super glossy effect as I do not care for it now that  I have tried other pearl or baryta types) but have sprayed my pearl gloss-ink prints, such as Hahnem. Photo Rag Pearl, which is very low gloss effect if any.

Thank you, Debra

richardboutwell

• Black and White Mastery
Re: Protective Spray on prints-# of coatings, on glossy ink papers?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:53:17 pm »

When we spray our color and black and white prints (on Canson Platine and Baryta, and Hahnemuhle Photorag Pearl) we do 2-3 coats, rotating 90% each time. The number of coats depends on how evenly it was sprayed and how big the prints are.

When spraying the glossy piezography prints (on the same papers above) I do as many coats as necessary to even out the gloss differential, which is usually 3-4 coats.
Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com

dgillilan

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:08:16 pm »

Thanks Richard, it helps to learn what others are doing with the sprays,
Debra

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:25:05 pm »

When we spray our color and black and white prints (on Canson Platine and Baryta, and Hahnemuhle Photorag Pearl) we do 2-3 coats, rotating 90% each time. The number of coats depends on how evenly it was sprayed and how big the prints are.

When spraying the glossy piezography prints (on the same papers above) I do as many coats as necessary to even out the gloss differential, which is usually 3-4 coats.

How are you (or rather why are you) spraying print shield (including hahn or moab) on glossy piezography (MPS) prints?  Glossy piezography requires a "second printing" or overcoat with the gloss optimizer, which should rid your K7 B&W prints of any gloss differential.  The GO is quite good at protecting prints, and though not its intended purpose, does provide at least a nominal amount of UV protection as well.  I do spray Premier Print Shield on my matte K7 piezography prints....

ken

richardboutwell

• Black and White Mastery
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:00:08 am »

How are you (or rather why are you) spraying print shield (including hahn or moab) on glossy piezography (MPS) prints?  Glossy piezography requires a "second printing" or overcoat with the gloss optimizer, which should rid your K7 B&W prints of any gloss differential.  The GO is quite good at protecting prints, and though not its intended purpose, does provide at least a nominal amount of UV protection as well.  I do spray Premier Print Shield on my matte K7 piezography prints....

Good question, Ken.

I set up the 3800 to print using a K6 P2 method (shades 1-6 with the ability to do a black ink change between glossy and matte black), but I also included the two additional inks (shades 2.5 and 4.5) required for the Jon Cone digital negative system (method 3). Doing so uses up all the ink slots so I don't have a way of printing the gloss over print. In addition to the P2 curves, I also create my own QTR curves for the papers I use with his inks. The ink overlaps don't have the same long tailed shape, but they are perfectly linear and don't show any banding or posterization/tone reversal (obviously profiled with the protective spray first). In addition to all that, the protective spray is much faster (and maybe safer?) than running the print through a second time.

I can't find it now, but I recall that Jon said someplace that you can use the print shield as an alternative to the GO.
Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up