Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drytac EliteCoater Aqueous Liquid Laminator and Coatings  (Read 1931 times)

del_pscc

Drytac EliteCoater Aqueous Liquid Laminator and Coatings
« on: July 05, 2014, 10:42:17 pm »

Any experience with Drytac's EliteCoater Aqueous Liquid Laminator or with their coatings?

http://www.drytac.com/elitecoater.html

We're considering it as an alternative to shopped-out spraying for matte finish canvas prints for gallery wrap.

Thanks,

Dave.

shadowblade

Re: Drytac EliteCoater Aqueous Liquid Laminator and Coatings
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:32:52 am »

Haven't seen it, but it looks like a very good way to apply even coatings of Timeless or other varnishes, being able to lay it on thickly while remaining even.

Josh Wise

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:25:15 pm »

We are having issues with ours. and can find no way to fix the problems. The company is no help, especially since we use a different brand of laminate. we always get weird viscosity marks, or shiny lines, yet some turn out fine. We had to make our own mix of laminate to solve some of these problems. It's a huge hassle, their customer service won't help, and we are lost. There is no info on these besides marketing material, no forums, etc.

iCanvas

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:03:06 am »

I have had the Drytac coater for a couple of months now. There are advantages and disadvantages to it. It is very slow. There is a motor that draws the canvas between two bars and you add coating as it goes through as seen on the video. I need to coat 20-30 canvas's at a time. The coating is smooth but is time consuming. After each canvas you have to take both bars out and clean them. What would take 45 minutes by spraying is taking twice that long with the Drytac coater. If you manually pull the canvas through the bars the process can go faster. I normally use Epson Exhibition canvas matte. So, what I have started doing is spraying the first two coats and finishing up with a third coat with the Drytac coater. The coating with the Drytac coater is very thin, too thin, but it doesn't leave any lines or bubbles on the canvas. The advantages are that you don't need a spray booth, and it doesn't waste the coating like the spaying process. With a gallon of coating costing $100 or more that is a plus. I use both Drytac's coating and Marabu Clear Shield. The Clear Shield can be bought in a five gallon container for $465. There are some savings there. I bought the coater for $1995 from Amazon, then saw the price shoot up to $2695 a few weeks later. Now the price is down again. It will pay for itself over time, Ha Ha, a lot of time. There is a design defect in that the bottom bar is attached to a plastic gear and you have to be very careful that the gear doesn't break off in handling in different ways. I broke the gear, but Nate at Drytac kindly supplied another one without charge. Would I buy it again? I would have to think about that.

Gar
Pages: [1]   Go Up