Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: North East USA  (Read 7075 times)

r42ogn

North East USA
« on: September 23, 2005, 04:36:01 am »

In mid October as part of a longer trip in the USA I'll be travelling with my family from Washington DC to Niagara and then back to New York.  Can anyone suggest any stop offs along these routes please  - the guide books seem to write off most of this area as not very interesting.  I'll photograph most things but would prefer historic sites, architecture and landscapes.

howard smith

North East USA
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 09:43:14 am »

As a couple of starters, I suggest Gettysburg, PA and the Amish farm area around State College, PA.  Depending on the state of the fall foliage, this could be a beautiful landscape trip.

Second thoughts.

I'm not sure where you live, but you might want to know that many Amish are relucant to be photogrpahed and you should respect their religeous beliefs.  For a real treat, stop at Bill Coleman's studio in State College.  He has many years of fine images in Amish country.  You might consider one for a souvenior.  They are in deed lovely.

Gettysburg isn't very far from Washington, so you could do that area before the Niagra trip.

There at least to be soem really good family style Amish eateries around Pennsylvania.  Good holsum food and served family style, so there is plenty.  I can't recommend Shoo Fly pie.

Third thoughts.  Penn State University is located in State Collage.  The football stadium there holds 100,000 plus.  You may want to avoid the area on home football week ends as hotels/motels can fill up, and facilities are pressed.

Tyler Hawk

North East USA
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 09:55:07 am »

Check out Ricketts Glenn in northern PA.  Lots of creeks and waterfall shots to be had.

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
North East USA
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 10:22:20 am »

Letchworth State Park in New York state near Niagra. You can fit it either on the way to Niagra or bacK to NYC.

r42ogn

North East USA
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 07:57:04 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I should have said that I'm English and live in London. I worked for an American company for 19 years and have been to many parts of the USA on business (New York, Washington, Raliegh, Dallas, Austin, Phoenix, LA, Las Vegas, San Franciso, Miami, Philidelphia, Boston etc) but this is my first family trip there with my wife and 16 and 13 year old sons.  We fly into  NY and will spend some time there before heading down to the Shenandoah valley for a few days and then up to Washington for a weekend.  We've got tickets to a Redskins game and then we'll move on slowly to Niagara and then slowly back to NY to fly home.

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
North East USA
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 09:48:17 pm »

Your family may enjoy this:

http://www.howecaverns.com/

It can make a nice stop on the way to NYC.

camilla

North East USA
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 10:11:34 am »

I agree with Howard Smith, Gettysburg is really a great place for photography. I have a son who works at Gettysburg College and I visit there very often. The battlefields all around the area have the most amazing wooden fences...

It is very true that the Amish people don't like to be photographed so that's always complicated and risky to go there and not find something to photograph.

However, if you do go to Gettysburg,you have several interesting options----- you can then work your way north on 15 which has lovely stretches along the Susquehanna River after Harrisburg, and then continue on 15 to Williamsport and north towards Rochester. This is the slow way...  Otherwise you can go north from Gettysburg on Interstate 81 North towards Hazleton, Scranton, towards Syracuse and you have several State Parks on the way, Poconos, waterfalls, to explore and eventually also some architecture in Syracuse or cross over on 17 to 14 and go up to the lakes through the small roads instead of the big ones.

I personally like the area around the lakes, Lake Seneca in particular. There are so many vineyards, old barns, in that area- Route 14 in particular. If you like architecture, I was going to suggest.. Buffalo. I was told that there is an amazing old part of town for that. I was actually supposed to go yesterday for an opening of a show in a gallery there and was told that Buffalo is very interesting for architecture.

By the way Howard, are you from that area of Pa? My son worked on his doctorate in State College. I love the area.

scott kirkpatrick

North East USA
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 10:58:05 am »

I like the glens around the finger lakes, Watkins Glen in particular, but there are many.  Also, if you are travelling in October, keep an eye on the foliage charts for maximum leaf color.  The max runs through the area in less than two weeks, typically, and colors are disappointing afterwards.

Geoff Wittig

North East USA
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 03:30:08 pm »

I second the suggestion of Letchworth State Park, south of Rochester NY. Many beautiful canyon overlooks, several large waterfalls, lovely forests, and a photogenic high railroad bridge over the upper falls.
On your way up North it's also worth checking out West Virginia, particularly the Monongahela National Forest area just across the border from Virginia. Only an hour or two from Interstate 81, with endless hiking trails and vistas. The (gravel) road to the top of Spruce Knob, the highest point in WV, is well worth the trip; you look out over the Appalachian mountains in every direction. Fall color varies with elevation, so you can find peak foliage just by hiking up- or down-hill.

Jay Kaplan

North East USA
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 09:01:55 pm »

There are many places in Maryland that may be of interest to you. There are a number of Civil Was battlefields northwest of Washingto in Frederick county and the state capital in Annapolis has many intereting places to visit including the United States Naval Academy. If you want wildlife, there is the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, south of Cambridge on Maryland's eastern shore. Often referred to as the "Everglades of the North" the 28,000 acre refuge is home to over 350 bird species and other wildlife.

howard smith

North East USA
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 09:18:57 pm »

camilla, I am not from this area.  I was born in Ohio west of the area and lived in southern Maryland and Millersville, PA.  I have only visited in the State Collage area.  PA is very beautiful and filled with US history.  I walked the AP Trail across PA and loved nearly every step.

MJRyan13

North East USA
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 08:27:47 pm »

I live in New Jersey and travel the Northeast often. While the classics such as Acadia, White and Green Mountains, Berskshires, and Appalachian Trail are good, you should try the road less traveled. The mountains along the eastern part of the Erie Canal (at that point the Mohawk River) can be very pleasing. Especially between the towns of Vorheesville, New York and Herkimer, NY following the railroad. Just a few miles east of Rotterdamn, New York the tall hills become wonderful foliage covered mountains and are magnificent. Something to keep in mind for next autumn...

Matthew Ryan
Wanderer Photography

polaski

North East USA
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 05:20:42 pm »

If you have any interest whatsoever in military history -- Gettysburg.  Take the tour of the battlefield, and pay special attention to the Devil's Den, which is right in front of Litttle Round Top.  Next time I go there I will take an ultrawide lens.  At Devil's Den, never has so much history taken place in so few square yards.

Drive through the Seven Mountains area SE of State College, PA.  If you are going close to Hazleton, PA, Eckley Miners Village, not to mention the nearby coal strippings.

Michelin publishes some guides of the area.  They may help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up