Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Milky stripes in blacks - Epson 9890  (Read 1797 times)

JDunnPhoto

Milky stripes in blacks - Epson 9890
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:37:57 pm »

HELP!!! has anyone seen something like this? Printed on an Epson 9890

Milky stripes in the blacks.  Only on canvas. The lines you see are in the OPPOSITE direction of the print head, so it's not banding.
The same printer perfectly prints on Epson Enhanced Matte paper or art papers.

I was using the Epson Natural Matte, then switched to Breathing Color Lyve because I thought it was the canvas.
My initial tests were awesome on a 24 inch roll, but then I've just started production printing on a 36 inch roll and it's here again.
However I just went back to the original test roll of 24 inch Lyve and it prints the file beautifully....just not the right size for the client.

I've had the same basic problem on 5 different rolls of Epson Natural Matte (various lots and sizes), now one roll of Breathing Color Lyve.....So I'm worried it's my printer.

Seriously, what is the chance that I could continually get bad rolls, from various lots, from 2 different manufacturers?

Can anyone help? Thanks

Jeff Dunn
J Dunn Printing
715-549-5222

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Milky stripes in blacks - Epson 9890
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:02:05 pm »

Are you towards the beginning of the Lyve? and towards the end of the 36" roll? as these look a bit like the pressure marks that show up at the end of the rolls.  However most times they don't show up as strong as that, but will be more noticeable on solids.  Most canvas starts to show the pressure marking in the last 10 feet and depending on the company the marks can be very strong.

Lyve has the padded roll, so you won't see this issue hardly at all. 

The only other issue I can think of, is a platen gap too wide problem.  A too wide platen gap can create a strange print flow at times especially in black, if you are at widest, consider backing down to wider. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:29:17 pm »

Looks ink starved to me. Crank up the density by 5% and see if that doesn't do it.
Nothing changes until something changes.

AngusP

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:42:47 pm »

I'd try lowering the suction. The stripes look like they are in the same spacing as the suction holes on the platen

JDunnPhoto

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 10:58:14 pm »

And the winner is...............AngusP!!  Suction is at least part of the problem.
It's not perfect, but it's definitely on the right path.  I was using the standard suction settings at the menu when loading canvas.
However, I went in and used the custom paper settings and set the suction to -2.
It hasn't eliminated it totally, but it's mostly gone...I'm sure I need to just tweak some more settings.

jferrari, thanks for the suggestion, but the overall print is almost over saturated. it's just in those weird areas...

Paul, Thanks for replying. I'm at a standard platen gap, and going even tighter as part of the testing.  Beginning of  a 36" roll....and yes, Lyve has the padded core, so I don't think it's pressure marks.

The weird thing is, that I've printed 1000's of feet of canvas and it just started a couple of months ago.  A 24" role of BC Lyve doesn't do it at all, but the 36" does.  Epson's Natural Matte did it on all sizes. but I can print Enhanced Matte paper perfectly!  seems it's the flexibility of canvas being pulled too much at the suction holes???

I'll keep testing and let you know.

JDunnPhoto

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 11:22:16 pm »

ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!  I spoke too soon.  it must have been a fluke.
It's back as bad as ever. ??? ??? ???

Doombrain

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 04:06:10 am »

there's a translucent strip that runs just above the printhead called the T Fence. It tracks the head. it' could be covered in canvas dust.

clean it with a dry, lint free cloth VERY carefully and check if there's anything on it. any crap can interfere with the position data and cause V banding.

Don't play with the PG, you'll only cause soft prints and ink dust issues.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 07:40:49 am »

I was off base on the pressure marks, had the print oriented wrong in my head.

Can you try to print just a solid black say 8" x 34".  See if you still get this problem. 

The reason I ask, if you look at the, a lot seems to be coming off the head that is printed first.  If you can print a solid black.  If you can print a solid black test print, then there is something going on in the print/driver/spooler (if windows).

Are you printing on matte canvas? if so I am assuming it's the matte PK?  You can also try a ink swap, and see if the PK ink does the same thing. 

All these things take time out of the day, I realize, but it does seem that there is either something in the print or ink delivery.  I know it's hard to believe it's in the print, but I have cases where it has happened. 

If you still get the patterns, it might be time to call Epson. 

The raised grid like parts of the lower part of the platen can sometimes create a slight impression, but these will show up much more evenly, spaced about 1" apart.  The discoloration you have is not evenly spaced across the entire print. 

The suction on some of the older Epson, (my 9880's) can get uneven over time due to the fans themselves starting to wear out.  This creates a problem where the heavier prints will pull down a bit more on one side, but this lends to print skew more often.  I am not sure what the 9900's use on the suction.  The 9880 has several large fans across the underneath of the platen.  9900's may have the same thing, I realize you have a 9890, but it's the same design, just different head.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Justin B

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 08:09:08 pm »

Hey Jeff, I'm curious, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color
Pages: [1]   Go Up