Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HVLP Spray Booth  (Read 2194 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
HVLP Spray Booth
« on: July 03, 2014, 09:04:13 am »

I found the photo below on a thread here but can't find the original thread now.  I'm building a similar set up but was interested in knowing if the angled back-board works well.  Most other booths I've seen are using a straight wall.  Does this angled board make it easier, or is it just a personal preference?
Mike Guilbault

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: HVLP Spray Booth
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:08:56 am »

Angled is preferred here as well. The biggest reason for angled spraying in my booth is to get the proper reflected lighting to see the overlap and what I am laying down.
Many do not do it because they do not have the room.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:29 am »

That is a picture of Bill Atkinson's setup.  He recommends the slanting 55 degree or so.  This will help prevent runs more than anything.  I don't slant as much, about 1/2 of that.  I also don't have the advantage of converting my garage to a spray booth as Bill did.  Just won't work for me. I have a converted bathroom instead. 

His setup is better and if I was only doing 100% canvas I would attempt to improve on mine, but I can get by up to 36 x 72 and that' as big I prefer to stretch anyway.  Biggest advantage Bill has is that he can setup a 36 x 72 horizontally I can't do that. 

ONE critical thing I have learned.  If you get off the Wagner guns, you will have a whole lot less overspray, as the the more expensive guns will let you control both spray amount and air flow.  I am in the process of converting right now.  Bit of a learning curve again, but worth it.

Breathing Color has a video somewhere on their site that talks about this also, i.e. setup of a booth.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Justin B

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:09:11 am »

Here's an article on building a spray booth from Breathing Color: http://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/diy-hvlp-spray-booth-for-under-125/

I've seen that same photo on another BC blog article about spraying canvas prints, here: http://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/learn-how-to-spray-canvas-prints-like-a-pro/
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:21:01 pm »

Thanks guys... I have the FujiSpray Mini-Mite 3 w/new gravity gun.  I only want to buy one once so sprung for the better gear.  I'm partitioning off an area in our basement for the spraying.  Gotta get this done as the work is starting to pile up!

In that last video, the illustration showing the gun spraying the canvas 8-12" inches away, the gun is level to the ground while the canvas is at an angle.  Shouldn't the gun be pointed at the same angle as the canvas to get an even spray?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:27:58 pm by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:59:50 pm »

Good question.

I angle my gun when spraying

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

na goodman

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:15:41 pm »

I'm angled as well. I also am vented to the outside which works out well.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 02:20:41 pm »

So... you angle the gun to be parallel with the canvas, correct?
Mike Guilbault

na goodman

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »

My backboard is angled. I try to keep the gun parallel but, when your under 5 feet and have to stand on a step stool to spray, anything can happen. No runs, no drips, and all is well.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 05:56:46 pm »

So... you angle the gun to be parallel with the canvas, correct?

Yes, I angle the gun to be parallel to the canvas surface.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 06:35:19 pm »

So do I. The gun should be as angled as the panel for sure.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 03:13:09 pm »

I know several of you store prints vertically as in the picture. I've always felt I have better luck with storing them flat immediately after spraying so that the timeless can self level. with the bigger droplet size coming from the wagner help it seems useful. thoughts?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »

If you are worrying about self leveling you have applied way to much material.
I use Binks HVLP and you do not get anything close to droplets it is entirely a heavy mist.
It may be how your unit sprays in that it does not atomize the same,have never used that type.
I leave hang on my spray board until it flash dries which is usually less then 10 minutes.
Laying flat when wet can introduce a whole new set of problems,dust in particular.

Sounds like what you are doing is working for you but maybe a little fine tuning of your spray tip may be in order.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:22:48 am by Dan Berg »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 08:03:15 am »

I know several of you store prints vertically as in the picture. I've always felt I have better luck with storing them flat immediately after spraying so that the timeless can self level. with the bigger droplet size coming from the wagner help it seems useful. thoughts?

Note, Timeless is not self leveling, Glamour II is.  Because of this I mix my Timeless with some Glamour II as it will help.  One of the big issues with Timeless is that it dries very fast within 20 minutes of spraying, so you won't get much leveling at all.  Timeless creates an excellent gloss but can be very hard to get down evenly.

Dan's point is right on as the Wagner gun puts out way too much spray, which is why I am moving to another setup.  You can't control the amount of spray or air and after seeing how some of the other guns work, I am moving to another style.  Not sure if I am going to the Fuji with the high cost, but any good gun will have control of both air and fluid. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 12:15:01 pm »

the wagner has for sure always created more of a shower than a mist. I've actually found that the few times I've gotten it tuned down to a mist it's less satisfying results. perhaps its a taste issue. I spray in one utility closet in the basement and transfer to shelves in another, right outside the door. so far never an issue with dust (knock on wood). I almost never feel the need for a second coat. I would like to get my paws on a better system, but so far the $99 wagner has produced result I'm happy with on at least a dozen gallons of timeless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up