Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Otus quick update  (Read 6458 times)

Colorado David

Re: Otus quick update
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 09:33:52 am »

Several years ago I was shooting video for a great big sporting goods retailer.  I was on a bass boat on a lake in Florida.  The fisherman I was shooting caught a nice fish and I asked him to wait for the release until I got in position.  I knelt down and held the camera by the handle ($36,000 camera) to get a low angle of the fish going back into the water.  When I signaled the fisherman to release the fish, he knelt down and the boat tipped.  My center of gravity was too far out and I began to tip over the edge of the boat, camera and all.  There was nothing I could do.  Fortunately another fisherman on the boat grabbed me by the shirt. It would have been a very expensive dip in the lake.  Another time I was wading a stream in southeast Alaska in a tidal area.  The stream bed was very slick and the soles of my waders weren't getting enough traction.  I slipped and went under.  I held the camera up as high as I could but it did get a little wet.  It dried out and has worked fine since, but the moral of the story is that if you work under these types of conditions, insurance is vital.

Fine_Art

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 10:18:24 am »

Great story David. Thx for sharing it.

Alternatively you might be able to work some type of underwater housing.

NancyP

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 11:16:40 am »

If I worked on water sports shoots, I'd buy a Pentax and two of the water-resistant lenses. They are likely to survive a short dunk at surface pressure.

Telecaster

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 04:39:42 pm »

About two minutes after taking the attached pic, in May 1984, the camera & lens I used (Canon AE-1 & 50/1.4) slid off the felucca boat's hull and disappeared into the Nile while I was fishing out a new roll of Kodachrome from my bag. This was ten days into a two-month trip...for the remainder I shared my then girlfriend's Minolta.

-Dave-

Peter McLennan

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 05:52:27 pm »

A friend with a D800 took camera in for focus checking and Nikon Canada pronounced "impact damage" to the lens mount.  He is extremely fastidious about his gear and could recall no impacts of any nature.  Hmm.

Since this is rapidly devolving into a "photoaccident" thread, this:

Sitting in a RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat) in the Pacific Ocean a few hundred miles off the coast of Costa Rica, I was photographing swimmers who had recently dived off the warship that loomed high above me.  One of the sailors yelled from high above, "Hey Peter!  Watch this!"  Whereupon he cherry-bombed me, drenching me and my $75K camcorder with warm salt water. Of course it instantly died.

No backup.

With the able assistance of the electronics boys aboard ship, I performed heroic surgery (we had nothing to lose), the net result of which was a camera that would record and play back its recordings, but which had no live viewfinder. It made for interesting times shooting interviews: frame shot, shoot, play back, adjust framing, shoot, play back, adjust framing... etc. 

I fabricated a "sports" viewfinder from stiff wire and carried on shooting until we arrived in San Diego, where a replacement was waiting for me.

In the immortal words of Rumsfeld, "stuff happens".

Colorado David

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 12:27:38 am »

My story was a cautionary tale of why you need insurance.  I didn't mean to drag the topic off on a rabbit trail.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up