Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portugal coast for next summer  (Read 6415 times)

DonWeston

Portugal coast for next summer
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:39:22 pm »

TIA, and am looking for where to go and stay etc, maybe with another family and mine, only me into photography, so any advice in general is fine too. Adults are 45-50, kids are mid to late teens..have seen some beautiful images from this area, but don't know where they were taken exactly. Gear is simple all that I have at the time that I can fit in an appropriate carry [ 20D etc, maybe a 1d2 or 5d by then] on of course and a checked tripod...do I need clothes....???  :D Like I said, TIA

DonWeston

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 02:41:13 pm »

Sorry but did not say for how long, just 7-10 days....most likely flying into Lisbon. Don

led

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 10:32:38 am »

Hi, what kind of vacation are thinking about ? (beach, sight seeing, hiking)

Coming from Lisbon you can stay at various places along the Alentejo Coast, and maybe end In Algarve.

Alentejo is a relatively dry region of the country, but the coast is very beatiful and not as spoiled as Algarve.

In Algarve the sea is Warmer and the scenery spectacular, but more dificult to find out of the way places. The area around Tavira is the less spoiled of Algarve in my opinion.

Eating out in Portugal is generaly cheap unless you frequent the tourist places...

Try to google for images about
Algarve
Costa Alentejana
Alentejo
Tavira

To get a feel of the various regions.

I live in Almada across the river Tejo from Lisbon. Anything else you want to know I'd be happy to help you.

DonWeston

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 10:48:31 am »

Considering we are traveling with my kids and another family possibly, it will end up being a mix of things. I usually go out early to shoot each day and again when light improves later. We are looking for a simple itinerary that allows some photo opportunities, but has a little stuff for the others to enjoy, namely  beach and shopping. OH, and to keep the other adult female happy, good ice cream or gelato,....hehe. got to keep everyone happy. We are trying to start putting together a trip that is enjoyable for all. I plan on taking 2 bodies, 20D and either 5D or 350D and a few lenses at most. also why I posted inquiring about the 28-300mm lens in another section.

Thanks for the info above will check it out. As more specifics come out, please feel free to email me if needed. I greatly appreciate the advice as it will be our first trip to Portugal. Also although  my kids speak Spanish, is English understood in most places away from the major cities, knowing I will probably get a good English/Portugese dictionary anyway. TIA, Don

led

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 12:01:17 pm »

Most young people speak reasonable to good english (bad accent though).

Spanish is a plus as all Portuguese people understand the language even though we invent a lot when speaking it.

Maybe you should look at the Tavira area it's Algarve with a lot of beautiful places, and quite a few of the benefits of a city even though it's a Vila.

Lot's of photo opportunities with sand dunes and vegetation on the beach, an old train that is used in one of the beaches, Tavira as very interesting architecture, and river going thru it create great settings to capture the atmosphere. There's also the morning fish market to photograph some of the more tipical characters the fisherman.

To keep the significant other happy there are a lot of "esplanadas" to sit and have "gelados".

Also gives you time to run off and do a bit of photography while everybody else is sitting soaking the view.

As far as equipment goes expect grand sceneries, a lot of wild life (if your into that) and very interesting architecture. Also expect heat, a lot of it, black body cameras usualy get very hot in a matter of minutes.

DonWeston

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:34:11 pm »

Just wondering if anyone could offer any more advice as I leave in a week. So far I have Tavira  and Alentejo as possisbles. How far is Alentejo area, will be based in Albufeira - Portimao area? Any quaint fishing villages in the area, is Alentejo doable as a day trip from Albufeira?  Any quaint hill towns, good for images, shopping? TIA, Don

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:22:03 am »

Hey Don:  If you haven't already, check out:

http://www.visitportugal.com/Cultures/en-US/default.html

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DonWeston

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 08:56:28 am »

Thanks Mike, would anyone have any specific information on where the best sea stacks area located along the coast? Those that are shootable from shoreline as opposed to a boat, for sunrise or sunset images. TIA, Don.

DonWeston

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

Well, made it back and was taken with both the scenery, food and people. Thanks to all for the ideas for my family's journey. Below is a sample of my luck with light...

adion

• http://
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 02:47:28 pm »

Hi Don, did you make it down to Lagos?
the beaches are really nice there...

DonWeston

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 03:42:59 pm »

Hey Adion - well close, we made it by on our way to Sagres, but had no time to stop and the timing of when we went were just not right for landscapes anyway. It would have been mid day and not ideal. The Fort of Henry the Navigator, was not ideal either, but led to some images anyway.....Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up