Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going to Rocky Mt Nat Park again in a few days  (Read 1897 times)

slothead

Going to Rocky Mt Nat Park again in a few days
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:31:13 pm »

When I was there last a couple of years ago I went from the eastern entrance as far as the Rock Cut on Trail Ridge Road.  I got some good shots there but it was mostly socked in (in the clouds in many places).  In a few days we will enter from the other end of Trail Ridge Road (where I've never been before).  Can anyone suggest areas that they feel are special in the western half of the park in the Trail Ridge Road corridor?

Thanks,
Tom
Nikon D800, D750, N1 J5, Sony A7R, a6000, a5100, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods

Colorado David

Re: Going to Rocky Mt Nat Park again in a few days
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »

Go to imagesofrmnp.com and buy the e-version of the Rocky Mountain National Park photo guide.  Here's the direct link; http://imagesofrmnp.com/product/photographing-rmnp-ebook/  Full disclosure:  I have no interest in the sale of this book other than I think it is a valuable resource.  While you're on that site, look through his recent photos for inspiration.  Erik is also a D800 shooter.  I have photographed elk in velvet and moose on the western slope of the park.  With elk and moose I've cruised the road and pulled off to go on foot when I've seen a likely looking spot.  In my opinion it is easier to find landscapes from the east entrance because there is a higher density of roads that will lead to good spots.  On the west side of the park, you may be in for more hiking.  The ebook will help.  Good luck.

slothead

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:57:53 am »

Thanks David,
I explored the west side with Google Earth and I was surprised to see so many of the roads tree-lined and the horizon obscured.  My objectives (which I failed to mention) are primarily landscapes and not wildlife.  I brought my hiking boots though and so I will be ready to go off-road.
Tom

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 10:35:29 am »

Last year when I was there I was saddened to see the number of dead pines and the amount of cutting the FS has done.  Seems the pine beetles have finally made it to RMNP.  After three decades of going west to enjoy this great park it is truly sad to see.  Actually the destruction covers a lot of the state, and many wonderful scenes I have imaged over the years are gone, at least for the rest of my lifetime.
Craig Lamson Photo

slothead

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:01:47 pm »

Yes Craig,
I saw the same thing myself on the 6th.  Very sad.  I was amazed at how much of the landscape had been affected!
Tom

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:57:00 pm »

Last summer I took the road all the way through from west to east. I enjoyed the town of Grand Lake near the west entrance much more than Estes Park. I enjoyed Adams Falls which is a bit small but had lots of water and there are a good deal of cascades in the river (or is it a big creek?) that precede the falls. It's a very nice area. Just a short hike to the falls but the trail goes back much further if you want.

I'm attaching images of the area around Adams Falls. There are many hiking trails but not so many roads on the west side of the park. The landscape is quite different from that of the east end of the park and I preferred it. As has already been said, there was also a good deal of damage from the beetles. All in all I recommend the west entrance as being worthy of a good deal of you time. ENJOY!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:09:49 am by rgs »
Pages: [1]   Go Up