Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename files to client naming format, while keeping own file name convention  (Read 1535 times)

NickJB

A corporate client needs me to deliver files renamed to their file naming convention. I'd like to be able to do this while also keeping my own naming convention. Is there a way to have either 2 file names on a file or to embed either their naming convention in the file names or my own naming format in the file metadata? I want to do this so when they come back and ask for particular files to be retouched etc, I can find them easily. Outputting several thousand files at max resolution.

Thanks!

phcorrigan

A corporate client needs me to deliver files renamed to their file naming convention. I'd like to be able to do this while also keeping my own naming convention. Is there a way to have either 2 file names on a file or to embed either their naming convention in the file names or my own naming format in the file metadata? I want to do this so when they come back and ask for particular files to be retouched etc, I can find them easily. Outputting several thousand files at max resolution.

Thanks!

You might be able to tweak Rob Cole's "rc File Renamer" () to do this. You might want to look at my blog post which explains how it works:
Patrick Corrigan
Author, Data Protection for Photographers, now available (http://rockynook.com/book/0/259/data-protection-for-photographers.html)
Website/blog: http://dpworkflow.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Thanks!

I get this a lot with magazines and most are happy if I follow their convention but add 6 digits from my own convention which uniquely identify the image in my system. Fewer things go wrong this way.

However, if this isn't possible, I would suggest you look at my Search and Replace plugin and copy your filename into a field which isn't used for anything else. So you aren't renaming your originals, just storing your reference in the metadata which will go with the files. Then do an Export, and in the Export dialog's File Renaming section set up their naming convention as a preset and export the files using the names they require.  

If the renaming scheme is complex, this post may also help.

John
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:21:51 am by john beardsworth »

raydee

I would define the client naming convention in a special export setting and keep the local files in my own style. If the scheme is complex (product / part numbers etc), use the subtitle field in the library module to store the information and as a variable in the export rename settings. If they ask for modifications, you can search the subtitle field from the library module.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:11:22 am by raydee »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings

It would be a bit complicated, but you could create a collection and make new virtual copies, setting the copy name to the client's naming convention. Unfortunately there's no way to batch this. You can rename files on export so the client will get the names they want, but your files won't have that name unless you add it to the metadata somewhere. They'll be talking about XYZ-001 and you'll be wondering to which file they're referring.

Mike.

Okay, this would work. Select the images, create a standard collection, and check the boxes to include selection and to make new virtual copies. Go to the Collection, select all, and go to File/Rename to rename the VCs with your client's naming schedule. Now you have two copies of each image, one with your name and one with theirs. The images will automatically be stacked with each other in the folder(s) - master and VC. If you're in the collection (not the folder) and you need to find one image (using their name) you can easily do so, and if you need to find the master file for that image you can go to the right panel for the VC, go to the metadata panel, and beside Copy Name click the little arrow. It'll take you to the master file.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up