Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Javascript Screwiness  (Read 14312 times)

61Dynamic

• http://
Javascript Screwiness
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:05:27 am »

I've noticed since the forum crash each time I middle-click a link to load a topic into a new tab in Safari I get two copies of the same page. One goes into a new tab as it should but the original tab I clicked from loads the link also.

Disabling Javascript solves the problem.

The issue is also evident in FireFox 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 (Command-Click in this case). My other browsers work just fine (Camino & Opera; IE doesn't apply).

francois

Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 05:24:50 am »

I've noticed since the forum crash each time I middle-click a link to load a topic into a new tab in Safari I get two copies of the same page. One goes into a new tab as it should but the original tab I clicked from loads the link also.

Disabling Javascript solves the problem.

The issue is also evident in FireFox 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 (Command-Click in this case). My other browsers work just fine (Camino & Opera; IE doesn't apply).
I see no problem in Safari [Version 2.0.1 (412.5)]. Perhaps I misunderstood your problem.

For example, I click on the "New Posts" link and then, when the list is displayed I control-click (or right-click on my mouse) on topics so they are opened in new tabs. JavaScript is enabled.

I can't say for FireFox as I still use an old 1.0.5 version.

Francois
Francois

jani

• Øyet
Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 05:55:16 am »

I have exactly the same problem in Opera under Windows or Linux. I haven't bothered with testing under Firefox. I'm used to forum interfaces being crappy in one way or another, so I try not to let my blood pressure increase too much over such things.

Francois, test by going into a forum and click on a discussion topic there instead of going through "new posts".
Jan

francois

Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 06:32:56 am »

...Francois, test by going into a forum and click on a discussion topic there instead of going through "new posts".
Ah, I see what you mean! So I'm also affected by this issue. I've noticed the same type of problems on Fred Miranda's Forums.

Francois
Francois

jani

• Øyet
Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 06:58:44 am »

...Francois, test by going into a forum and click on a discussion topic there instead of going through "new posts".
Ah, I see what you mean! So I'm also affected by this issue. I've noticed the same type of problems on Fred Miranda's Forums.
(Just in case this is unclear; I don't mean to blame Michael, Neil or Chris for problems that are caused by the bulletin board software.)

Instead of letting it be the user's choice whether you want a link to be opened in a new window or not, the coder/designer tries to force what happens.

That is wrong on so many levels that it's hard to explain it to anyone.

The only mystery is why this started to happen after the bulletin board was revived.
Jan

francois

Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 07:09:01 am »

(Just in case this is unclear; I don't mean to blame Michael, Neil or Chris for problems that are caused by the bulletin board software.)

Instead of letting it be the user's choice whether you want a link to be opened in a new window or not, the coder/designer tries to force what happens.

That is wrong on so many levels that it's hard to explain it to anyone.

The only mystery is why this started to happen after the bulletin board was revived.
Anyway, it's not enough to spoil my day! I didn't notice the issue until Daniel mentionned it - and I needed your help to see that I was also affected.

:cool:

Francois
Francois

francois

Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 10:11:40 am »

I've found something. I'm not sure if it is interesting, let me know and see below.
In the first screenshot if I right-click on the small blue icon - instead of the topic title - a new tab is opened and the clicked topic is displayed correctly. The original page stays there (no double openeing). I've put a red circle around the small icon.

Now, looking at the destination in the Safari status bar show the following for the normal "Topic Title" click.

Clicking on the small blue icon shows:

You can see the difference on the act= parameter.

Francois
Francois

61Dynamic

Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 10:48:03 am »

Sorry I wasn't more specific. You guys got it, it's the links to the topic threads.

I think getting rid of the Javascript altogether would be best as the pages load just fine without it. The only script that is needed is that for the post formatting buttons.

neil

Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 11:57:56 am »

Thanks for letting your preferences be known.  Its going to stay as it is for the near future.

61Dynamic

Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 03:29:57 pm »

As a heavy tab user this bug is a bit annoying but I understand if you can't get to it now. At least I can click that icon until the near future has passed

jani

• Øyet
Javascript Screwiness
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 04:35:42 pm »

As a heavy tab user this bug is a bit annoying but I understand if you can't get to it now. At least I can click that icon until the near future has passed
Or you can do as I usually do, just subscribe to notifications on all discussion boards you're interested in.

But yes, that icon is a helpful solution, and when my subscriptions run out while I'm off to Tibet and whatnot, I'll be sure to use that for catching up sometime in November.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up