Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting film for glossy paper  (Read 964 times)

MonsterBaby

mounting film for glossy paper
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:41:08 pm »

hi forum.. i have a problem mounting moab silverslick... its thick .. but needs to be flat and with a standard mounting film i get an orange peel surface..

any ideas are apreciated..

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: mounting film for glossy paper
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:20:01 pm »

I have never mounted the Moab paper, but have dry mounted plenty of glossy papers with either Fusion or Ragmount on standard foam core. 

The Acid Free foam core may also just a bit better for this as it tends to have less dimpling than the clay surface. 

Beinfang makes both Fusion and Ragmount.  Ragmount is a thicker material but always has mounted perfectly for me.  You also may need to back off the suction pressure on your press as that may also be part of the problem.

Fusion supposedly is removable with heat, ragmount is a one time deal and once down is an excellent mount.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:11:38 am »

you did not specify the type of mounting (dry mounting with heat activated adhesive or cold mounting with pressure sensitive adhesive). If you are talking about pressure sensitive adhesives i can recommend Gudy 808 fro Neschen http://www.neschen.de/graphics-en/protection-and-mounting-films/product/3-gudy-808. It uses a white polyester film (ultra smooth) as carrier, so it will not give you the orange peel look.

MonsterBaby

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:14:16 am »

thanks paul..

any ideas of a cold version ?
usually we all use cold mounting.. or is this the problem?

yeah.. thnx.. now the new answer just poped up.. i will try that gudy for sure.. as the 831 is def. not the right choice for glossy papers.
we did have the orange peel tho with a different polyester film from mactac

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:01:52 am »

For ultra no orange peel gloss, try the Facemount adhesive from Drytac Hotpress http://www.drytac.com/mounting-adhesives/facemount.html . Designed for reverse face mounting to glass / acrylic, works a treat for mounting to aluminium, DiBond, glass or perspex.

If your substrate is less than dead smooth, then you'll get orange peel from the substrate. If the silverslick is a polyester base, then you should be good, if a wood base, then this can introduce its own texture.

PatrickAllen

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:29:05 am »

We have found the face mounting adhesives to be smoother then the traditional rear mounting adhesives. Usually higher priced but less orange peel effect when used for rear mounting.

Best,
Patrick
KenAllenStudios
Pages: [1]   Go Up