Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographing what is only there in my mind  (Read 5977 times)

BobDavid

Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 07:50:57 pm »

Bob

Thanks for taking the time to view my images and for your comments.

Here is another image which I explored in my mind the idea of how my memory is eroded over time.
This is a composite photo and drawing done on location.

I am not sure what you felt was lacking in the Supplejack Tree, but in the image's defence I think when you view the framed print on a lightly textured art paper at 36 inches wide the fine detail that underpin the broad washes of colour may soften some of your concerns, then again maybe not.

The composition is well thought out--golden mean / golden section. The line quality is just right--looks like charcoal pencil, and the use of color is spot on. A desirable piece, this one.

Mal

When I first glanced at this, I thought "That would look great printed on cold press paper." This is a compelling picture--makes no difference how you blended photography and drawing. I appreciate it on a visceral level. How many in the series do you have or are you intending to produce? Looking at a big print is a lot different than looking at a pixelated facsimile on a laptop. I'm sure the Supplejack tree is much more nuanced than what my Samsung 14" screen shows.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:58:41 pm by BobDavid »

BobDavid

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 08:07:52 pm »

The branches, tendrils, suggest ganglia interconnected with the cerebral cortex. I would not have seen it that way if you hadn't mention the dissolution of memory over time.

I like the composition of this picture, it shows (intentionally or not) a Golden Section / Golden Mean form. The color is tasty--just right as well as the black charcoal lines. ... Very strong image.

This is an image that will have a lot of impact at 36" wide. Do you have plans to exhibit this set?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:50:53 am by BobDavid »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »

More fantastic and fantastical work, Mal. To take louoates' comment further, the more I see what you've done, the more I'm displeased with my very literal approach to photography. I love what I do, but your work has so much more depth. It's the difference between decorative art (my work) and conceptual art (your work).

Again, thanks for sharing!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 04:16:49 pm »

Hi Bob and Terry in particular

I have had this image printed at 36 inches wide and I feel it does look as good as it can.

The problem with this exploratory approach to image making is that each image can take weeks or longer to come together.
I have on some occasions spent probably 80 hours just on the photoshop side not to mention the painting and drawing side.
BUT as my wife would tell you I am very inefficient rather than incredibly fastidious.

I sort of drift and try different things, do multiple versions and have many many images that are over 2 Gig and many more that remain unfinished.

Your comment about the ganglia is right on, not that I was conscious of that dimension -

Here is a straight photograph from my collection - which yes I am putting together an exhibition of my works for maybe 2015 - but I am not rushing the project. This image came out of an early morning photo expedition, on my own to a lonely rainforest lookout. I noticed one other car parked in the car park about a mile form the lookout. It was pitch black in the forest and I only had a small torch. So all the way along I expected to come across some other crazy photog. But no one appeared. So by the time the early morning sun was shining through the forest I admit I had got pretty scared and then I walk into this scene and my imagination is pretty keyed up. And it is like the spirit of the forest was breathing this fear into my soul - it was not that my logical, sequential brain function was disengaged, but rather that I had two brains at the one time, one superstitious and imaginative and the other, going, hey this would make a cool image - so tripod, IQ180 etc and made this image.

Terry I went to your BLOG and saw your image of the Teasel and the Horn of Plenty, these are great images and you have taken many more. My images are just a product of my love of painting combined with photography, just my take on this fantastic journey called conscious life.

Sorry for rabbiting on

Mal
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up