Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my views  (Read 1130 times)

david distefano

my views
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:48:26 pm »

after returning from a trip last week where i used the nikon d800e, which is my first dslr which i have owned for 2 years, i think i can readily report my feelings on dslr versus medium format/large format photography. the nikon on tripod and mup, with the zeiss glass that i own, produces stunning and i mean stunning images. a little less so with the nikon glass. the nikon is faster to use on the fly. and the nikon is easier to transport safely.

for the previous 35 years i used large format from 4x5 to 8x20 and for a few years the haselblad cfv-16.

what i find lacking with the nikon and maybe it is because i came from a large format background, is to get everything in  focus. i am not a bokeh  person with my landscapes. this is where phase one/leaf and to a limited sense hasselblad have the advantage. the ability to put them on a tech camera, with its movements, produces the type of photography the soothes the savage beast in me. yes i know nikon has tilt shift as does schneider but you are limited to 3 focal lengths, while i used everything from my 38mm xl to 600mm. too bad nikon  doesn't make a tilt shift adapter like the hasselblad hts 1.5. or maybe phase one/leaf produce a bare bones db. as ford produces cars from lincolns down to the focus, phase one can produce db from the iq280 with all the bells and whistles to the bare bones ford focus. i know thats not going to happen.

for me, the tech camera is the best way to photograph. for my wife the nikon is the best way to photograph $$$$$.

which i guess leaves me to focus stack to get everything in focus from front to back, not always desirable, or the use of large format film and west coast imaging doing the scans.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: my views
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 04:04:44 pm »

Why not the Sony A7r and Canon TSE glass.
I love rumors for fun only but many interesting ones pollute the atmosphere in this Photokina year.
Possible new TSE lenses from Canon and a more mature iteration of the 36mp FF Sony ilce body seem to me the most interesting. And of course Canon answer to the Nikon D810 (if finally with the help of the stars).
Three months away.

after returning from a trip last week where i used the nikon d800e, which is my first dslr which i have owned for 2 years, i think i can readily report my feelings on dslr versus medium format/large format photography. the nikon on tripod and mup, with the zeiss glass that i own, produces stunning and i mean stunning images. a little less so with the nikon glass. the nikon is faster to use on the fly. and the nikon is easier to transport safely.

for the previous 35 years i used large format from 4x5 to 8x20 and for a few years the haselblad cfv-16.

what i find lacking with the nikon and maybe it is because i came from a large format background, is to get everything in  focus. i am not a bokeh  person with my landscapes. this is where phase one/leaf and to a limited sense hasselblad have the advantage. the ability to put them on a tech camera, with its movements, produces the type of photography the soothes the savage beast in me. yes i know nikon has tilt shift as does schneider but you are limited to 3 focal lengths, while i used everything from my 38mm xl to 600mm. too bad nikon  doesn't make a tilt shift adapter like the hasselblad hts 1.5. or maybe phase one/leaf produce a bare bones db. as ford produces cars from lincolns down to the focus, phase one can produce db from the iq280 with all the bells and whistles to the bare bones ford focus. i know thats not going to happen.

for me, the tech camera is the best way to photograph. for my wife the nikon is the best way to photograph $$$$$.

which i guess leaves me to focus stack to get everything in focus from front to back, not always desirable, or the use of large format film and west coast imaging doing the scans.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:08:15 pm by uaiomex »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:28:50 pm »

what i find lacking with the nikon and maybe it is because i came from a large format background, is to get everything in  focus. i am not a bokeh  person with my landscapes. this is where phase one/leaf and to a limited sense hasselblad have the advantage. the ability to put them on a tech camera, with its movements, produces the type of photography the soothes the savage beast in me. yes i know nikon has tilt shift as does schneider but you are limited to 3 focal lengths, while i used everything from my 38mm xl to 600mm. too bad nikon  doesn't make a tilt shift adapter like the hasselblad hts 1.5. or maybe phase one/leaf produce a bare bones db. as ford produces cars from lincolns down to the focus, phase one can produce db from the iq280 with all the bells and whistles to the bare bones ford focus. i know thats not going to happen.

Phase One does do this. With a full warranty you can get an IQ250 at a premium price or Credo 40 at $11.5k or a P40+ for $9k. All of these are team Phase One products. It's just that the Ford Focus still costs $15k (or whatever), so if you're waiting for Ford to make a car at the price of a scooter or for Phase One to make a back the cost of a 5D3 then you're probably going to wait a long time.

Tilt-shift adapters which add glass elements and SLR tilt-swing lenses are always going to be limited by the design of the glass they allow. A tech camera allows a lot more freedom to the lens designers.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:44:37 pm »

Hi,

A lot of MF glass can be used on Nikon with a Mirex T&S adapter. An alternative is the A7r, which can take almost any lens, but may have has problems with vibration.

Best regards
Erik

what i find lacking with the nikon and maybe it is because i came from a large format background, is to get everything in  focus. i am not a bokeh  person with my landscapes. this is where phase one/leaf and to a limited sense hasselblad have the advantage. the ability to put them on a tech camera, with its movements, produces the type of photography the soothes the savage beast in me. yes i know nikon has tilt shift as does schneider but you are limited to 3 focal lengths, while i used everything from my 38mm xl to 600mm. too bad nikon  doesn't make a tilt shift adapter like the hasselblad hts 1.5. or maybe phase one/leaf produce a bare bones db. as ford produces cars from lincolns down to the focus, phase one can produce db from the iq280 with all the bells and whistles to the bare bones ford focus. i know thats not going to happen.

Erik Kaffehr

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:09:37 pm »

By all means. TS-included lenses will always have some limitations but for my work they usually meet my standards and more importantly, my client's.
I think all comes to personal budget and load of work
Eduardo

Tilt-shift adapters which add glass elements and SLR tilt-swing lenses are always going to be limited by the design of the glass they allow. A tech camera allows a lot more freedom to the lens designers.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:21 pm »

By all means. TS-included lenses will always have some limitations but for my work they usually meet my standards and more importantly, my client's.
I think all comes to personal budget and load of work

I agree completely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up