Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'My Bed' expected to sell for $1.7 mil USD.  (Read 13584 times)

Ben Rubinstein

Re: 'My Bed' expected to sell for $1.7 mil USD.
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:26 am »

Now that's a whole new can of worms and risks all sorts of political disputes but the 1% wouldn't bat an eyelid at this sort of money. In fact they need this sort of nonsense to spend it on to somehow justify to themselves their accumulation of wealth. It reminds of MS co-founder Paul Allen, who goes buying luxury yachts simply so that he has something to do with it all.

At least yachts are functional and often beautiful (depending on how much fibreglass is used ;D).

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 12:03:53 pm »

It reminds of MS co-founder Paul Allen, who goes buying luxury yachts simply so that he has something to do with it all.

He also finds antique airplanes that are rotting away and restores them, then has them flown to airshows and public events where they can be seen and enjoyed by everybody. I'm very glad he does that. And don't forget that his sponsorship was part of Burt Rutan's X-Prize winning Spaceship One effort.

If someone similar buys things like this bed, and other people get a kick out of it, I shouldn't complain. Not my cup of tea, but not the worst thing that could be done with the money I suppose.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:02 pm »

He also finds antique airplanes that are rotting away and restores them, then has them flown to airshows and public events where they can be seen and enjoyed by everybody. I'm very glad he does that. And don't forget that his sponsorship was part of Burt Rutan's X-Prize winning Spaceship One effort.

If someone similar buys things like this bed, and other people get a kick out of it, I shouldn't complain. Not my cup of tea, but not the worst thing that could be done with the money I suppose.

Thinking about it that does sound a little unfair to the guy as he does spread it around a bit.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 02:31:41 pm »

Thinking about it that does sound a little unfair to the guy as he does spread it around a bit.

I'll tell you what, the next time I make a gazillion dollars, I promise to spend them!

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 02:36:05 pm »

I'll tell you what, the next time I make a gazillion dollars, I promise to spend them!

Let me know just as soon as it happens and I'll PM my account details.

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 07:43:00 pm »

It has been accurately stated that a "luxury yacht is the best method of getting money from Swiss Bank accounts into general circulation" as the crewing, upkeep, maintenance and repair of these yachts supports many "blue collar" workers around the globe.
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »

The word, "notoriety," in the original article is the correct word.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 11:51:14 am »

And to think I wasted my time making the bed this morning.

elliot_n

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up