Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting back in the game, general advice sought (and UK studio hire)  (Read 2817 times)

bohngy

Hi all, I've been out of the game for some years but recently decided that I'm miserable unless taking pictures.
Some years ago I was a full-time assistant and had some limited connections that could get me, just about affordable, studio hire. I had a few minor publications and was beginning to carve out a good look to my pictures. Now that seems like a stone-age ago and my extended hiatus means i'm back to square one... Wondering how to get started again...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a London or near-London studio that offered affordable testing rates? Also, what are agencies like these days with testing or is it a -gulp- ModelMayhem job these days!  :-\

Any advice you guys could give would be gratefully received, unless it's "don't do it!"   ;D

bohngy

Re: Getting back in the game, general advice sought (and UK studio hire)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »

No-one?  :(

perhaps this is the wrong forum for this? I don't mean any offence by that statement, but perhaps someone knows of a more fashion/portraiture based pro forum I could consult?

thanks

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 03:39:19 pm »

Hi all, I've been out of the game for some years but recently decided that I'm miserable unless taking pictures.
Some years ago I was a full-time assistant and had some limited connections that could get me, just about affordable, studio hire. I had a few minor publications and was beginning to carve out a good look to my pictures. Now that seems like a stone-age ago and my extended hiatus means i'm back to square one... Wondering how to get started again...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a London or near-London studio that offered affordable testing rates? Also, what are agencies like these days with testing or is it a -gulp- ModelMayhem job these days!  :-\

Any advice you guys could give would be gratefully received, unless it's "don't do it!"   ;D

I'm guessing that you were using digital in those past days so the method of taking pictures may not have changed much. I personally though have found that photography as a profession has changed out of all recognition. The problem being that it is no longer held in any sort of esteem by the public at large. Images are so common, so easy to produce and manipulate that the craft has lost an enormous amount of respect because people think that there is now nothing to it which means getting them to pay for your skill and effort is going to be the toughest part. Recently I covered an event on behalf of a magazine at a machinery dealers depot. The dealers then started demanding full res images from me to use in their publicity and advertising and got quite upset when I said fine, but you are going to have to pay for them. They just assumed that good photos emerge from thin air with no cost attached and this is the sort of attitude you will be up against no matter how good your pictures. Sure, there will be outlets who appreciate the skill that goes into image creation and are willing to pay for good work but they are a witheringly small number and therein lies your biggest problem.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:41:04 pm by Justinr »

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 05:32:52 pm »

Fashion is not my bag but there are studios in London to be had for £150-£200 for testing but like most things it pays to know a few other photographers so you can develop a network of places you can hire, what about your old assistants? Are they still in the game?
Or try here: http://www.studiosforhire.com

elliot_n

melchiorpavone

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:28 pm »

Just take some Zoloft until the urge goes away.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:16:51 pm by melchiorpavone »

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 05:53:36 pm »

I don't know any particular London studio that has testing rates. www.studiohire.com might be useful as it lists pricing for many of its entries, and many are lower than the established London places.
And (again) with testing via agencies I'm no help (not a fashion shooter). For online networking in the UK, purpleport.com seems to have supplanted ModelMayhem these days.
Advice - DO EIT!!! - Budget, or lack of thereof, is irrelevant if you're truly "miserable unless taking pictures". You'll find a way to shoot if that's what you really want
Pages: [1]   Go Up