Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: custom colour profiles and printing on Epson 4880  (Read 4468 times)

scuba_d

• Atanas Petrov photography
custom colour profiles and printing on Epson 4880
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:28:05 am »

Hi all,
I am going to do custom colour profiles for two papers:  Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique 310gm and Innova FibaPrint Baryta 310gm –IFA 69.
I will use ColorMunki to build the profiles and my printer is Epson 4880.
One of my first things to do is to determine the best media settings. I am sure that many of you on this forum have this printer and likely print on this papers as well.
What are your media settings and experience when you print on these papers using Epson 4880?
Thanks in advance.
Pete
Atanas Petrov

huguito

Re: custom colour profiles and printing on Epson 4880
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:04:31 am »

I use the Canson Baryta Photographiqe, is a really lovely paper on the 9600, started using it as a replacement for the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
I profiled with a color munki
The targets where printed as Epson semi gloss, 2880 dpi, High Speed OFF, Platten gap standard
I print with the same settings,
If the image has large heavy dark areas and subtle detail in the shadows I may reduce ink density by 10 or 15 percent
I hope this help

Hugo

scuba_d

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:36:18 pm »

Thank you Hugo,

That is exactly my intention – replacing Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.
Did you try other media types?
 I used to use watercolour paper radiant white on my Epson 4880 as a media type when I printed on Ilford GFS, but I am willing to try other options as a media type for these new papers, in order to nail down the best one.

Cheers
Pete
Atanas Petrov

huguito

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:22:58 pm »

Hi Pete
I tried a ton of different papers before
Just like you, I do some underwater photography, some in B&W, some in full color.
My favorites so far, at least now.
Canson Baryta Photographique for gloss.
For matte paper I like the Epson Hot Press Bright and the Hanhemulhe Torchon,depends on the image, the Epson pops ore, is brighter, the Torchon has the most beautiful texture, is less bright and contrasty.
All profiled with color munki, all printed on photo black.
Hugo

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »

If you already have profiles made for GFS, try them out on the Canson.  
I have custom profiles for GFS and when tested with the Canson alternative, on calibration prints, the results are identical.  In fact, except for a very slight difference in the surface texture only visible at oblique angles, the papers behave identically even though I have been told there are minor differences. I have been using them interchangabely for the last couple of years with the same set of custom profiles.  I'm also using an Epson 4880.

Rand
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:01:17 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:46:56 pm »

I used to use watercolour paper radiant white on my Epson 4880 as a media type when I printed on Ilford GFS,...

That is a strange choice for baryta paper. Does the matte black cause gloss differential problems?

Brian A

scuba_d

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:17:27 pm »

That is a strange choice for baryta paper. Does the matte black cause gloss differential problems?

Hi Brian and thank you lads for your replies,

I used this media type when I printed on Harman Gloss FB Al, which was nearly like Ilford GFS, if not the same. Harman recommended using Watercolour paper – Radiant White as a media type and Photo black( I still have their original PDF file with guidelines for printer settings) , when you print the targets, so I followed their advice and I was happy with it.
I had Harman and Ilford GFS at that time and applied same printer settings to both with identical outcome – very good, so I did stick to it.

However, I would like to play a little bit with media type on my Epson 4880 this time, in order to get the best of these, new to me, papers before I do the colour profiles.
I will visit Canson and Innova sites to see their recommendations on printer settings and might start from there.

I do not print on matt as I do not like wasting ink and haven’t got yet second printer, set on matt only.  :)

If you already have profiles made for GFS, try them out on the Canson.  

I will definitely try them.

Cheers
Pete
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:26:36 pm by scuba_d »
Atanas Petrov

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 02:19:33 pm »

I used this media type when I printed on Harman Gloss FB Al, which was nearly like Ilford GFS, if not the same. Harman recommended using Watercolour paper – Radiant White as a media type and Photo black ...

Ahh, that makes more sense. On more recent Epson printer, setting the media type also sets the black ink; you cannot set matte paper and photo black ink.

In general, Watercolor Paper - Radiant White, puts down one of the least ink loads of all the media settings. It isn't much above plain paper and tracing paper.

Brian A

scuba_d

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »

Hello Brian and thanks for your reply,

On Epson 4880, which I have Watercolour type is in the art paper folder, not in the matt paper folder, so no trouble printing with Photo black.
Do you print on Epson 4880 and if you do, what is your favourite media type when printing on Canson Baryta paper, Innova or other baryta papers?
How the printer lay down the ink and the amount of it is very important, in order to create a good custom colour profile.
As I said I will give a go on all types in the art folder, but will try most of the media types in the Photo folder as well.

Cheers
Pete
Atanas Petrov

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 06:09:31 pm »

Do you print on Epson 4880 and if you do, what is your favourite media type when printing on Canson Baryta paper, Innova or other baryta papers?

No, I use the 3880 and 9890 and mostly canned profiles. I have a few custom profiles, but I didin't make them, so I use the media settings under which the profiles were made.

I use mostly fine art papers and very little baryta paper. If you look at the media settings, for baryta papers on recent Epson printers, they are always RC papers, not fine art papers. You cannot run PK with any matte paper, fine art or otherwise.

How the printer lay down the ink and the amount of it is very important, in order to create a good custom colour profile.
As I said I will give a go on all types in the art folder, but will try most of the media types in the Photo folder as well.

The drivers for both the Epson 3880 and 9890 have a setting to adjust the ink load: it is called Color Density. It allows you to adjust, up or down, the default ink output for any media type.

Brian A

scuba_d

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »

The drivers for both the Epson 3880 and 9890 have a setting to adjust the ink load: it is called Color Density. It allows you to adjust, up or down, the default ink output for any media type.

Thanks Brian,
I know that. I have it as well under Paper configuration.  Ones colour density is changed you need to think about drying time and paper feed, as these three depend on each other.  This is a bit too much for me and it is time consuming as well to get it right. I would better ignore it. :)
Canson recommends Premium Semi Gloss 250 and Innova has no ICC profile for his baryta paper, so will start from there.

I have a few custom profiles, but I didin't make them, so I use the media settings under which the profiles were made.

What was the media type for this custom profiles, if they were made for some of the resent baryta papers?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Pete

Atanas Petrov

huguito

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 02:32:25 am »

I print on the Canson Baryta Photographique using the setting of Premium Semi Gloss.
No ink density adjustments.
The results are very very nice

Hugo

scuba_d

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 04:59:18 am »

Thanks Hugo,

It is good to know you are happy with it.
By the way, Ilford recommends Premium Semi Gloss 250 for their baryta paper as well.

I am sure PSG 250 is going to work well on barytas, but just been curious, if someone tried and find even better settings.

Cheers
Pete
Atanas Petrov
Pages: [1]   Go Up