Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grey Market Bodies  (Read 7083 times)

awiseguy

Grey Market Bodies
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:47:46 am »

Is there a difference between a 20D body purchased normally (with a US warrantee) and one bought on the web 'grey market' with an international warrantee?

I will most likely get an aftermarket warrantee (Mack or similar) so I don't think I am concerned with that 'non-factory' aspect of things.  Also, supporting my local camera store is a good thing, but $1,300 vs $750 salves a lot of conscience.

Basic question is: other than support, are they identical items?

Paul Sumi

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:10:18 am »

$750 for a new 20D body (even grey market) sounds like the proverbial "deal too good to be true."  What store is offering that price?  You might want to check out the store to make sure it's legit:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

This honestly sounds like a scam.

Paul

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:25:49 am »

I'd be inclined to suspect a scam also.

Sabercat04

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 11:31:43 am »

A grey market item through a reputable dealer should be the same item as the regular import, but without the company's warranty. The key is making sure the dealer is reputable whether you buy grey market or with the manufacturer's warranty. Then ask yourself if the lower price of the grey market item is worth giving up the warranty. Usually if you check and B and H prices there is relatively little difference in price, so the grey market may not be worth it. Also, I would guess you are more likely to need the warranty for an electronic camera than for a lens, which has less to go wrong with it. I agree with the previous post that the $750 appears too good to be true.

howard smith

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 11:48:49 am »

Also make sure you know what you are buying.  Some less reputable dealers open the box and remove all the extra goodies to get their price down.  Then, you want a battery?  A strap?  Instructions?  Software?  The international or US warranty?  Add it all up and you may not be getting such a deal.

Abe's of Maine and B&H have always been good to me.

Ask if the dealer will take returns within a certain time frame.  New items are more likely to have an "infant mortality" so that a warranty after a month or two of good use may not be worth nearly as much.

A quote from Greenspun:

Among the big NY stores, you'll get very close to the lowest prices and by far the best stock and service at
B&H Photo
420 9th Avenue (between 33 & 34)
New York City, NY 10001
US voice (800) 606-6969
email:
or check out their Web site

Paul Sumi

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 11:57:15 am »

Howard brings up a good point.  The other variation on this theme is that the store will pressure you to also buy a lot of accessories you may not want.  If you balk, they'll tell you the $750 camera is no longer in stock.

Paul

Barry Prager

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 03:11:08 pm »

There is surprisingly little mark-up on a $1300 camera.  Grey market for $750, impossible!  That's a sucker bet.

pobrien3

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 09:54:37 pm »

Living in Hong Kong I get some of the best prices available on the planet, and a lot of grey market goods are available - some shades of grey lighter or darker than others!  That said, B&H prices come very, very close to the best I can buy here for. I paid approx US$7,080 for my 1DsMkII here, but that was only about 10% less than B&H could supply it for at the time.  Use B&H as your yardstick.  I can't buy the 20D in HK for US$750, so I would agree with the others here: there's more to this than meets the eye, I'd steer clear of this 'bargain'.

tshort

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 10:47:39 am »

OK, so grey market may not be such a hot deal.  But what about factory refurbished, at $970?? http://www.digitalliquidators.com/detail.asp?id=cneos20drb (I'm looking to buy one, too).
-T
Wisconsin

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 12:37:36 pm »

According to resellerratings.com, they're another scam outfit with a 0% customer service satisfaction rating.

Paul Sumi

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 12:45:39 pm »

OK, so grey market may not be such a hot deal.  But what about factory refurbished, at $970?? http://www.digitalliquidators.com/detail.asp?id=cneos20drb (I'm looking to buy one, too).
As said earlier in this thread, grey market is fine as long as you understand the trade-offs.  Factory refurbished is also fine as long as you deal with a reputable company. Just be wary when prices seem too good to be true.

That said, Digital Liquidators is NOT the company from which you want to buy.  Check out their buyer feedback on ResellerRatings.com.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375.html

Paul

tshort

Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 01:52:26 pm »

Thank you for that info, Paul and Jonathan.  Very helpful.  So does anyone know where to find a refurbished 20D from a reputable dealer?  I don't see offered much, yet Canon appears to do it - they mention "factory refurbished" items in their warranty info online.
-T
Wisconsin

DAVO

• davidanderson.com.au
Grey Market Bodies
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 06:35:41 pm »

With new bodys and lenses there is a chance of problems with AF and lens alignement, I've had both recently and needed Canon service ( CPS ) to fix them.
In my experience a good dealer is worth extra when the chips are down and you need repairs, my dealer even gives me loaners when somthing is back at Canon ( CPS do as well ) for repair.
I also think if you want to walk into a shop and ask advice and try stuff you need to support that shop.

David.
Pages: [1]   Go Up