Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I miss my Leica M3!  (Read 1544 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
I miss my Leica M3!
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:13:48 pm »

As I recall, this had four controls: shutter speed, aperture setting, focus ring, and shutter release. There was a lever to advance the film and a crank to rewind it. I focused with my eyes. I set exposure with my brain. The manual was probably 1/2 page long. It never, EVER, failed me. And then, stupid me, I sold it to get something "newer and better."

Showing my age, I guess!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: I miss my Leica M3!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 04:53:49 pm »

Join the crowd, Peter. I miss my M4 too, for the same reasons. Then. . . I think about developing film in the kitchen, swabbing it down, hanging it up to dry, cutting it into strips, making contact sheets, developing contact sheets, putting the strips into numbered spills and storing them, numbering the contact sheets, etc., . . . And all of a sudden I rush into my studio and hug my D3 and my D800.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:57:06 pm »

My father had an M3 which he used to take snapshots on travel vacations. I had a lowly Pentax, and once he let me handle the Leica. Just operating the controls, looking through the viewfinder and focusing felt much like I would expect driving a Rolls Royce to feel (I don't know; I've never even had a ride in one.)

It felt so luxurious -- and so expensive! --  that I didn't think I could dare carry it around with me to take photographs for fear I would drop it. So I stuck with my (disposable -- relatively) Pentax.

So I still have that awe of all things Leica, especially the M3, even though I never really used one.

Eric

P.S. I don't think darkroom work was any easier with the M3 than it was for my Pentax.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:49:39 am »

As I recall, this had four controls: shutter speed, aperture setting, focus ring, and shutter release. There was a lever to advance the film and a crank to rewind it. I focused with my eyes. I set exposure with my brain. The manual was probably 1/2 page long. It never, EVER, failed me. And then, stupid me, I sold it to get something "newer and better."

Showing my age, I guess!

The only functions I use on my D800 when shooting BJ work (as in baby journalism) are aperture setting (but then again not that often since it is mostly set at f2.0) and shutter release since it triggers AF as well. Camera computes speed and ISO for me.

It seems to me that the interface is less complex today than it used to back then... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 03:18:47 pm »

Join the crowd, Peter. I miss my M4 too, for the same reasons. Then. . . I think about developing film in the kitchen, swabbing it down, hanging it up to dry, cutting it into strips, making contact sheets, developing contact sheets, putting the strips into numbered spills and storing them, numbering the contact sheets, etc., . . . And all of a sudden I rush into my studio and hug my D3 and my D800.
and spotting the dust spots on the prints, no matter how careful you were in protecting the negs.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 03:25:20 pm »

Showing my age, I guess!
I'm not sure if  it qualifies as a control, but there was also a preview lever which allowed you to see the frame lines for the various focal lengths (50, 90, 135mm)  without having to attach the lens.

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 04:22:59 pm »

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a control, but there was also a preview lever which allowed you to see the frame lines for the various focal lengths (50, 90, 135mm) without having to attach the lens.

Leica has dropped this now with the 240 & M-E but the slightly older M8 & M9 models still have it. IMO it's one of the handiest features of the M cameras.

I grew up with my dad's M2 in the house, not locked away in a cabinet or stowed up on a high shelf but just sitting on his writing/drawing desk. It was one of his tools. I used to play with it actually, which he allowed 'cuz I was always careful with my toys. It wasn't until I started reading photo magazines in my teens that I discovered it was a Leica. Dad responded with an unimpressed shrug when I informed him of this   :)  and so my brief sense of superiority-by-association fizzled out. Nowadays I own the M2...and the desk too.

-Dave-

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 05:36:26 pm »

Showing my age, I guess!

If it was such a great camera, why not just buy another one? You can get a nice one for about $1K.

Jim

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 06:57:25 pm »

If it was such a great camera, why not just buy another one? You can get a nice one for about $1K.

Jim

Oh you naughty man to suggest such a thing! I don't have a darkroom or enlarger, but I see that 35mm tri-x is still available. I could develop it in the kitchen sink and scan the negatives for digital printing ... hmm, might just work! And I'd have plenty of time because the missus would leave <g>!

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 07:50:10 pm »

Oh you naughty man to suggest such a thing! I don't have a darkroom or enlarger, but I see that 35mm tri-x is still available. I could develop it in the kitchen sink and scan the negatives for digital printing ... hmm, might just work! And I'd have plenty of time because the missus would leave <g>!

Nicely phrased. I sympathize. I still have a Nikon S2 purchased used in 1958 from a journalist. The price was $180, which included a 5 cm f/2 lens. It was all the money I'd saved that summer. I haven't taken a picture with it in 15 years, and the last time I had it CLA'd it cost more than I paid for the camera, but I'm hanging on to it.

Jim

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 08:05:04 pm »

Nicely phrased. I sympathize. I still have a Nikon S2 purchased used in 1958 from a journalist. The price was $180, which included a 5 cm f/2 lens. It was all the money I'd saved that summer.

My 2 years old daughter seems to consider the Nikon V2 hers... I wonder how long that one will last. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up