Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki for Mac – How To Print Accurate Targets (Workaround)  (Read 7759 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

ColorMunki for Mac – How To Print Accurate Targets (Workaround)

I am assuming that readers of this post will have at least a basic knowledge of colour management; and will be familiar with the ColorMunki, Photoshop, and printer software.  These instructions apply to all printers.

Aim
The aim of this workaround is to remove the interference in the printing path, introduced by Mac OSX (from Leopard 10.5.X onwards), that prevents targets being printed without colour management.  Currently the only application known to do this reliably is the ‘Adobe Color Printer Utility’ which can be downloaded from this URL Adobe Color Printer Utility (note the webpage refers to Photoshop CS5 but this also applies to all subsequent Photoshop versions).

Outline
The workaround involves exporting the targets as PDFs, importing them into Photoshop (without colour management), doing a little bit of formatting (if you want), saving them as an untagged TIFF, opening them in Adobe Color Printer Utility to print them, allowing them to dry, and finally measuring the prints with the ColorMunki.

These instructions assume a new profile is being created from scratch.

Steps
1.   Open the ColorMunki software and select ‘Profile My Printer’.  When you get to the printer dialogue box select the button bottom-left-corner marked ‘PDF’ (I assume this is the same in all latest versions of OSX) and select ‘Save as PDF…’ from the drop-down list.
2.   Open the PDF in Photoshop.  Two things are important when you get to the ‘Import PDF’ dialogue box.  ‘Crop to:’ should be selected to  “Media Box” and ‘Mode:’ to “RGB Color”.  The latter is very important to avoid the system trying to colour manage the file.
3.   In the ‘Edit’ menu in Photoshop select ‘Assign Profile’ and in the dialogue box select “Don’t Color Manage This Document”.  This removes the profile/tag.
4.   The Adobe Color Printer Utility, which you will be using to print the targets, has a bug which prints onto the page with an offset.  Although the targets will be readable by the ColorMunki you may want to adjust this offset, which you will have to do by trial and error.  Make a note of how much offset you apply as you will need this again later.  I also add a text layer in which I write details about the printer, date, paper type, and so on.
5.   Save the file as a TIFF.  The Adobe Color Printer Utility will only open TIFFs; but it can open any type of TIFF, compressed or uncompressed, and will open a layered file (but flattened).
6.   Open the Adobe Color Printer Utility (ACPU) – available here Adobe Color Printer Utility.  Note, the webpage refers to Photoshop CS5 but also applies to all subsequent versions.  Open the target file in ACPU.  Print the file and wait for it dry.
7.   Open the ColorMunki software and go through the same procedure to print the target, but you can use the tickbox “I have already printed my target” to go to the measurement stage without having to print.
8.   Then you need to follow the instructions above to create the second target PDF, import it into Photoshop, save it as a TIFF, print it from ACPU.
9.   When you then come to create the profile from the two printed targets there is a little trick you need to know to fool the ColorMunki software into thinking it has printed the second target.  Let it take you to the print dialogue box, but then click ‘Cancel’, and it will move you to the measurement stage.

That’s it !  Good luck !

This was tried and tested on Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5 and Photoshop CS5.1 and CC 14.2.1.  I cannot speak for later versions or iterations of software.

Please, X–Rite fix your software.

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
Re: ColorMunki for Mac – How To Print Accurate Targets (Workaround)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:05:42 pm »

Thanks for posting this Simon. I thought that the problem was resolved long ago. I have been printing targets using either i1Profiler or Overdrive with CM off. I'd hate to think that I have to start again.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:04:06 pm »

ColorMunki for Mac – How To Print Accurate Targets (Workaround)
Please, X–Rite fix your software.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, Simon!
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »

Also check out Print-Tool - this nifty little tool permits you to disable color management as well:

http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRprinttool.html

kirk

Jeff Magidson

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »

Good News! There is a new version of ColorMunki out for the Mac OS. I installed it and for the first time I seem to be able to print targets directly to my Canon ipf8300 correctly without a workaround.

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 11:37:46 am »

Good News! There is a new version of ColorMunki out for the Mac OS. I installed it and for the first time I seem to be able to print targets directly to my Canon ipf8300 correctly without a workaround.

Potentially, good news (but apologies for my caution).

Which version of Mac OS are you using ?

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 04:10:51 am »

Latest response from X-Rite is that this update does not fix the problem.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:32:39 am »

From X-Rite Europe 17 November 2014 9:45:

Dear Simon

We have been told by the development team that the 1.2 update is primarily an update for the the driver to work correctly with the Yosemite OS.

Consequently there are no wider bug fixes or feature updates for the software. We have been told that an update for the software should be available in the new year but we have no firm dates or what the update will contain.

Kind regards

On behalf of X-Rite Photo Europe

Ashley Bowman

Good to know that X–Rite are on top of this problem – after five years; giving it their urgent attention.

Jeff Magidson

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 11:32:19 am »

From X-Rite Europe 17 November 2014 9:45:

Dear Simon

We have been told by the development team that the 1.2 update is primarily an update for the the driver to work correctly with the Yosemite OS.

Consequently there are no wider bug fixes or feature updates for the software. We have been told that an update for the software should be available in the new year but we have no firm dates or what the update will contain.

Kind regards

On behalf of X-Rite Photo Europe

Ashley Bowman

Good to know that X–Rite are on top of this problem – after five years; giving it their urgent attention.

Simon - Thanks for looking in to this. The response you got from X-rite is inconsistent from their own release notes: Here are the release notes from the installer of 1.2.0:

The following features and improvements have been added for this (MacOS only) release:
Added support for MacOS 10.10.x (Yosemite)
Improved support for MacOS 10.8.x and 10.9.x.
Dropped support for MacOS 10.6.x and 10.7.x.
Added latest version of X-Rite Device Services (XRD) for improved hardware support.
Bug Fix: Fixed issue where printed targets were being color managed by the MacOS regardless of print driver settings.
Bug fix: Fixed issue where application would crash when trying to profile the secondary display on a multiple-display system.
Bug fix: Fixed issue where application could not profile a projector properly.
Bug Fix: Removed hardware activation requirement from software.

I'm on Mac OS 10.8.5

The first profile I created with the new release (1.2.0) appears to have created a good profile, where it did not with Version 1. I will have to do further testing to confirm this.
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 11:44:21 am »

Jeff.  Well, that's interesting.  I'll email this back to Ashley.  Their response should be interesting.

I'm 10.7.5 so I wonder what they mean by “dropped support” ?  I wonder if they mean ‘it won’t work’ or ‘if it doesn't work too bad we’re not going to help you’ ?  May be I’ll give it a spin and see what occurs.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 01:14:45 pm »

I'm 10.7.5 so I wonder what they mean by “dropped support” ? 
I suspect it means you have to update your OS then their software.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 04:36:53 pm »

I suspect it means you have to update your OS then their software.

I’ve asked them so I’ll let you know.

I’m in the middle of testing something else right now but I will install the new version and see if it boogies under OS 10.7.5.  I’ll let you know about this too (if anyone's interested at all at all).   ;D

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:46:51 am »

"Dropped support for MacOS 10.6.x and 10.7.x."

I guess if this follows for other xrite applications, then I'm on my last version of i1Profiler, unless I hack around with my macpro1,1...

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 06:21:29 am »

From X–Rite Europe:

'Dropped support' means the development team will no longer write bug fixes for these discontinued OS' although all new software will be backward compatible.

They promise to clarify on the content of the software in terms of bug fixes.  Watch this space…
Pages: [1]   Go Up