Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving Files in FCP for Web  (Read 4003 times)

deanwork

Saving Files in FCP for Web
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:24:53 pm »

Hopefully one of you guys can help me.

I have been producing composite works of video, stills, and music in FCP 6 with excellent results.

They are being saved for viewing as a Quicktime File saved in Pro Res 422 1920x1080 - 24 P - 48 kHz.

Now I need to post these on Vimeo or Youtube and of course they need compressing and file reduction.

My files are 16-20 minutes long and exist now about 16 - 24 gigs each.

What is the best way, or easiest way, for me to save these movies at a small file size for posting?

Is there an appropriate setting in FCP 6 to do this? Or do I need to do this in another program?

I do have Compressor and see a number of output setting for the web and streaming, I just don't know which one to use or exactly how to do it.

john

bcooter

Re: Saving Files in FCP for Web
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:02:33 pm »

Hopefully one of you guys can help me.

I have been producing composite works of video, stills, and music in FCP 6 with excellent results.

They are being saved for viewing as a Quicktime File saved in Pro Res 422 1920x1080 - 24 P - 48 kHz.

Now I need to post these on Vimeo or Youtube and of course they need compressing and file reduction.

My files are 16-20 minutes long and exist now about 16 - 24 gigs each.

What is the best way, or easiest way, for me to save these movies at a small file size for posting?

Is there an appropriate setting in FCP 6 to do this? Or do I need to do this in another program?

I do have Compressor and see a number of output setting for the web and streaming, I just don't know which one to use or exactly how to do it.

john

Obviously no one is going to answer you so here goes.

If your working in fcp 6 before you burn the sequence out in proress, go to your sequence settings look for the advanced tab and it will bring a quicktime window up.

There will be one setting on this window that says gamma.  Switch it ti NONE, instead of automatic.

Burning a sequence out at automatic is meant to be a flatter gamma for editing back in fcp 6 or 7 but setting none is a deeper gamma and will probably match the look of your footage on the timeline.

Do a test at AUTOMATIC and NONE and burn the sequence out at proress, 422, 24p, 60I, 48hz, 10bit.

Part 2

You can use compressor (it's slow) and it's a little complicated to batch.

I suggest wondershare pro convertor.   I'm not sure which version because I have the pro version on 4 machines and I think there are three different interfaces, though all are quite easy, much easier and less expensive than a program like Sorenson Squeeze.

Wondershare will have a setting for vimeo and you tube and you can modify each setting for a custom preset.   It also let's you batch conform.

Once again, do a test, usually just cutting down your quicktime clip and 30 seconds or so, set the appropriate presents, then place then on you tube and vimeo and see how they look.

Part 3.

If you are comfortable with fcp 6 you should upgrade to 7, as it's more stable, less buggy and better thought out and you can update easily.

If your working a complex edit and time/rending speed is an issue, for editing, set you sequence presets at either rgb or 8 bit and your sequence settings in preferrences to render at 1/2 quality)

(DO THIS JUST FOR EDITING) as it will speed up fcp 7 to almost the same speed as more modern 64 bit systems.  Then when your edit is finished, switch back to full quality redner and 10 bit sequence, render it out and your good to go.

Hope this helps, but disregarding everything, wondershare is probably your best best for conforming in all devices, from mobile to flash to sharing sites.

Once again, always do a test to find your proper presets as it's kind of the wild world out there is the way videos play.  Quicktime X based systems play a flatter gamma than quicktime 7, wmv is deeper than qucktime X and so on and so on.

Also remember that bps on the web will affect the quality of your video much more than 8 or 10 bit. To low bps and you'll have break up, especially on cross transitions, too high and it plays slow.

IMO

BC

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:38:08 pm »

What I do..

FCP6

"File export using QT conversion", select H264, select a size, press export.

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:51:21 pm »

Thanks guys,

That should help a lot more people out there than just me.

Before this was posted I tried Quicktime Conversion and that worked fine.

Best,

John

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

Thanks guys,

That should help a lot more people out there than just me.

Before this was posted I tried Quicktime Conversion and that worked fine.

Best,

John

Morgan's way is easy, though not for batching, but if the viewing quality is important to you, always do a test (all the way to the viewing source like Vimeo) and do some options with gamma settings.

I've seen so many videos that are beautiful work that are displayed either too crushed or too flat because of gamma and trying to correct it in conforming through qucktime conversion is usually somewhat destructive to the video.

IMO

BC

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:53:08 pm »

To expand a little - I find FCP (6) colours to be off.

I go to Resolve, grade, bring back to FCP, (where it all looks dark) then export and it comes back out as it should have been.

This took me an age to work out - ignore all colour you see inside FCP6

Working that out made life a lot better!

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

bcooter

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:29:00 pm »

To expand a little - I find FCP (6) colours to be off.

I go to Resolve, grade, bring back to FCP, (where it all looks dark) then export and it comes back out as it should have been.

This took me an age to work out - ignore all colour you see inside FCP6

Working that out made life a lot better!

S

Moran, once again it's your gamma settings.  FCP looks fine at it's specified gamma, but without going to a deeper gamma in output it will play light, or if you have dark imagery in fcp it will output ok, though you can have both where the footage looks good in fcp (legacy) and looks good in resolve, quicktime, etc.

Round tripping from resolve requires either different output settings from resolve, or a change in gamma settings in fcp.

We constantly output in quicktime, wmv, flash and I have presets either in output of fcp or in wondershare which makes all of them look close, though we all know that there is no such thing as one standard, regardless of what people say, beyond working scopes, numbers and not collapsing shadows, blowing highlights or going past the saturation point for display, though those rules are broken all the time in every genre.

IMO

BC
Pages: [1]   Go Up