Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple To Stop Developing Aperture  (Read 6739 times)

braeburnboy

• http://
Re: Apple To Stop Developing Aperture
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:37:00 pm »

I guess this is true and if so sad  - is apple providing any encouraging news for pro users?

I have been using Aperture for many years to do books. It has been improving each year with updates so this is a real shocker.

anyone have more info?
Braeburnboy

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:48:05 pm »

Afaict, there is a single source of this information:
http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/27/apple-stops-development-of-aperture/

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »

This had better not mean that we won't get any more camera RAW updates, as I'm still waiting for E-M10 raw Aperture support. I got caught when Lightzone disappeared, now this. I am so sick of this.
--
Robert

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 04:45:34 pm »

This had better not mean that we won't get any more camera RAW updates, as I'm still waiting for E-M10 raw Aperture support.

There’s still iPhoto/the new Photos app in the next OS version, so of course there will still be RAW updates.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 04:51:49 pm »

B******s  :(

JimGoshorn

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »

I think I read that Apple will see that it works in Yosemite. They might update for camera support if users are lucky.

The only positive "Pro" news was they released updates to FCPX, Motion and Compressor so they haven't given up on video.

jwstl

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 02:00:29 am »

iPhoto is going away as well. The new Photos app will replace both. I posted this in another thread but for those that don't read that one, if you look at the screenshot for Photos in this article you can make out the same tools as Aperture...exposure, highlights etc.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2375212/apple-retires-aperture-and-iphoto-to-be-replaced-with-photos-for-os-x.html

CptZar

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 05:28:46 am »

The new Photos app will definitely not serve advanced users. They will always have different priorities. Nobody will turn back to Apple after this decision. With this move they killed all Pro Apps.

I never liked the UI of Lightroom. but OK, I can live with it. On my Mac the most used program was Aperture, beside that PS. Pages, Numbers, all low cost crap programs. I seriously doubt my next Computer will be a Mac Pro again.  What for? To run Apple Mail? iCloud, what a joke. Want to load some 1GB TIF files via the net?

Apple targets kids and iphones. Some analysts say they are on the decline already. An iPone watch, which checks your blood pressure? Is that the future of Apple? Lets see where they stand in 10 years.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 05:40:09 am »

The new Photos app will definitely not serve advanced users. They will always have different priorities. Nobody will turn back to Apple after this decision. With this move they killed all Pro Apps.

I never liked the UI of Lightroom. but OK, I can live with it. On my Mac the most used program was Aperture, beside that PS. Pages, Numbers, all low cost crap programs. I seriously doubt my next Computer will be a Mac Pro again.  What for? To run Apple Mail? iCloud, what a joke. Want to load some 1GB TIF files via the net?

Apple targets kids and iphones. Some analysts say they are on the decline already. An iPone watch, which checks your blood pressure? Is that the future of Apple? Lets see where they stand in 10 years.

You can run other companies software on a Mac Pro......

For my part I have always recommended Lightroom to friends over Aperture mainly because the former has a far bigger user base and there are far greater numbers of knowledgable people around to help a new user.

Jim

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 09:22:18 am »

For my part I have always recommended Lightroom to friends over Aperture mainly because the former has a far bigger user base and there are far greater numbers of knowledgable people around to help a new user.

That has always been excellent advice ... and no small bit of damning with faint praise.  Sadly, it's also self-sustaining (the most-popular remains most-popular because it is most-popular).

BJL

This had better not mean that we won't get any more camera RAW updates, as I'm still waiting for E-M10 raw Aperture support. I got caught when Lightzone disappeared, now this. I am so sick of this.
According to DPReview at http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5684134078/apple-to-cease-development-of-aperture there will be a final update of Aperture for OS X Yosemite, including a final update of raw support (which makes sense since Apple does raw support for Aperture, iPhoto, Preview etc. through the OS):
Aperture on OS X Yosemite will support RAW v6, meaning new RAW support added to OS X will be available to Aperture users on Yosemite."
Some more details at http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/apple-to-cease-development-support-of-pro-photo-app-aperture/

Given that a large proportion of my photos require only modest post-processing, I wonder what fraction of my needs will be handled most easily with Apple's new "Photos" app (on Mac OS and iOS).  I opted for Lightroom over Aperture out of fear that Aperture was fading away, and use Lightroom when necessary, but do not enjoy it, so use simpler tools when they get the job done.

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 10:49:13 am »

Sigh. This is a shame. Not totally unexpected, and at least they aren't pulling the plug in a "Hey! Professionals! Here it is, gone!" way like they did with FCP7.

MAYBE Photos will have the functionality I need. Aperture will hopefully keep me going for a while, at least.

Do any of the other RAW editors have good healing brush/clone adjustments? Just downloaded Capture One and it doesn't seem to have, just a spot-by-spot dust removal tool, which I think is all Lightroom has too. I tried the trial of Corel's new RAW processor but that just kept crashing on launch which doesn't help me evaluate it!

Photoshop is an absolute dog for my workflow (minor tweaks, skin smoothing and zit/spot/bruise/blemish removal on a couple of thousand images a month, in sets of about 100).

Dear Capture One - please implement clone and healing brush functionality, and get over your spat with Hasselblad so I can process Hassy files with Hassy colour profiles in your software. Then you have me as a customer for life; you've got 75% of what I need already.

And I guess I will have to check out LR5. It's healing/clone facilities look much improved, but I hated the UI in earlier versions so much that I'm not sure how well I'm going to take to it....

It's a shame when the solution which works best for me loses out in the market :(

Hywel Phillips
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:58:13 am by Hywel »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 11:21:26 am »

Do any of the other RAW editors have good healing brush/clone adjustments? Just downloaded Capture One and it doesn't seem to have, just a spot-by-spot dust removal tool, which I think is all Lightroom has too. I tried the trial of Corel's new RAW processor but that just kept crashing on launch which doesn't help me evaluate it!
LR5 has a healing brush. Saved me having to go into PS to remove the annoying bright green exit signs behind a theatre group I just photographed.

Photoshop is an absolute dog for my workflow (minor tweaks, skin smoothing and zit/spot/bruise/blemish removal on a couple of thousand images a month, in sets of about 100).
You can most of that in LR these days.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up