Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645Z Review  (Read 26670 times)

Telecaster

Pentax 645Z Review
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:30:44 am »

Mr. Ming owns one of the first production 645Zs, if not the first, available to the public.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/06/27/review-the-pentax-645z-part-i/

-Dave-

leeonmaui

Re: Pentax 645Z Review
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:46:22 am »

Aloha,

Well Duh!

Nicely done!
Thanks for all your effort!

I also also saw a post stating that the first
Production run was sold out whatever that
Means....

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:11 am »

The images look ded. Sharp, detailed, lifeless.
The one with the bushes seen from the top stuck in my memory as good, nice texture. I also like the  pic of the camera itself in the beginning :)
It would be interesting if someone finally put a Z and a D side by side.
Here in Europe the D is selling new for 5KE.

Edmund

PS completely offtopic - but here is what the competition can do (Sigma DP2 Quattro):
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20140626_655138.html
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:14:55 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:08:27 am »

The images look ded. Sharp, detailed, lifeless.

Hi Edmund,

Indeed, but that has nothing to do with the camera (even less than 645D=CCD versus 645Z=CMOS), and everything with post-processing ...

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. The images on his webpage seem to have the AdobeRGB profile embedded. That makes the way they look browser depended.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:25:21 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 09:00:59 am »

PS completely offtopic - but here is what the competition can do (Sigma DP2 Quattro):
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20140626_655138.html

Mine should be waiting home by now.

Cheers,
Bernard

michael

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:33:07 pm »

Nick Devlin and I will be testing one next week.

Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 01:05:30 pm »

Hi,

Nice to hear! The 645Z seems to be good news for anyone looking for MFD image quality at affordable price. Check for shutter related vibration, please, it may be the weak point of the offering.

Best regards
Erik

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

tsjanik

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 04:29:21 pm »

Michael

I look forward to a review with your insights and Nick's humor.
When the 645D was announced in the US, there was no question in my mind that I should pre-order one, which I did and have been delighted with camera.  The Z, I'm not so sure; I've adapted a wait-and-see attitude.  I'm aware of the improvements in specs over the D, but none of those is an overwhelming factor for my uses.  I'm tempted by the size and weight of the A7r or the new Sigma Quattro or maybe something Sony has in mind for this sensor.

Tom

leeonmaui

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 04:32:11 pm »

Aloha,

Michael,
You will be reviewing the Z or the Sigma?

Thanks, lee

michael

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:27 pm »

My point of comparison is going to the the Sony A7r. I don't expect to do pixel peeping comparisons (heaven forbid), but I will try and get a sense of whether the increased size, weight, bulk and price of the Pentax Z might be worthwhile.

I will say that Nick has been a fan of the Pentax 645D, and the one time I used one in the past I was very impressed with its handling and overall gestalt. Looking forward to next week.

Michael

We are expecting a Sigma for review soon.

Ken R

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:04:04 pm »

My point of comparison is going to the the Sony A7r. I don't expect to do pixel peeping comparisons (heaven forbid), but I will try and get a sense of whether the increased size, weight, bulk and price of the Pentax Z might be worthwhile.

I will say that Nick has been a fan of the Pentax 645D, and the one time I used one in the past I was very impressed with its handling and overall gestalt. Looking forward to next week.

Michael

We are expecting a Sigma for review soon.

I think the difference will come down to optics. The A7R has much more options in regards to lenses compared to the 645Z. Obviously Digital Backs are king in that department still but the A7R is close given how shallow the mount to sensor distance is.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 08:27:50 pm »

Add some leaf shutter lenses and this time the game does change completely.

I want the leaf shutter lenses, but not for faster x-synch, but for lower vibration. There's a workaround though, until that bright sunshiny day when we get global shutter: electronic first curtain shutter. Along those lines, I was heartened by the D810 announcement yesterday.

Jim

tsjanik

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 08:38:00 pm »

Hi Edmund,

Indeed, but that has nothing to do with the camera (even less than 645D=CCD versus 645Z=CMOS), and everything with post-processing ...

Cheers,
Bart

Agreed Bart; I downloaded one the jpegs and a few adjustments in ACR completely removed the dull lifelessness of the image.  I suspect he is uploading these ASAP with little or no post-processing.

Tom

leeonmaui

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »

Aloha,

That's a great point of comparison,
And what will nick be comparing it with;
A Nikon coolpix....

Seriously you're  having a laugh?

tsjanik

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »

Aloha,

That's a great point of comparison,
And what will nick be comparing it with;
A Nikon coolpix....

Seriously you're  having a laugh?

Leeonmaui,

I think we all expect the Z to smoke the A7r; but that's not the point, for me anyway.  I can't take the D to all the places I'd like to take photographs for all the usual reasons, but a smaller, less conspicuous camera opens new possibilities.  The D has raised my file acceptability level; so for me the question is: can smaller cameras produce files I'm happy with and do I use my resources to buy a Z, or keep the D and add smaller cameras? It's pretty clear that the future is smaller, lighter systems; the question is when does the future arrive? 

Tom

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 01:11:05 am »

Hi,

Not sure about who is smoking whom. It may also depend a lot on lenses.

Going from 36MP to 50MP is a 17% linear. I would guess that the 645Z will show and advantage when comparing with an A7r image uprezzed to the same size. The 645Z will have an EV advantage in DR, simple coming from sensor size.

Shutter vibration will be an issue with both. Many testers have not noted the shutter vibration on the A7r but it is there.

Best regards
Erik

Leeonmaui,

I think we all expect the Z to smoke the A7r; but that's not the point, for me anyway.  I can't take the D to all the places I'd like to take photographs for all the usual reasons, but a smaller, less conspicuous camera opens new possibilities.  The D has raised my file acceptability level; so for me the question is: can smaller cameras produce files I'm happy with and do I use my resources to buy a Z, or keep the D and add smaller cameras? It's pretty clear that the future is smaller, lighter systems; the question is when does the future arrive? 

Tom
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 05:59:27 am »

Hi,

Shutter vibration will be an issue with both. Many testers have not noted the shutter vibration on the A7r but it is there.

Best regards
Erik

Well, at least that gives Sony a clear way to improve their game with the A8R :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 07:36:16 am »

Hi,

Yes, I would expect an A9, perhaps to Photokina. I would like a larger battery, electronic first curtain and 36 or 54 MP. I would probably buy. Right now I feel a bit ambivalent about the A7/A7r.

Best regards
Erik

Well, at least that gives Sony a clear way to improve their game with the A8R :)

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

gerald.d

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 02:22:39 pm »

Hi,

Interesting and actually quite well done, IMHO, but no real surprise. You could read DxO-mark instead ;-)

I happen to shoot Hasselblad V, too, and I don't really agree on the lenses. I am pretty sure that the Hasselblad V lenses are better than Pentax 67 lenses, of which I own five. But, I feel they fell short of modern lenses for DSLRs on edge contrast and colour fringing.

Best regards
Erik

Part 2 is up...

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/06/29/review-the-pentax-645z-part-ii-medium-format-shootout/
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up