Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Hand of Man  (Read 1537 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
The Hand of Man
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:41:23 am »

I would not have taken this picture five years ago. Thanks to this forum and Russ in particular, I now have no problems including "the hand of man". Thank you!

There were one or two comments made on another thread about "User Critiques" and the despondency being felt by some senior members...

I hope that was a passing feeling, because without certain people here it would just not be worth it. It is a pity that RobC has been absent for so long.

I would say, "please don't let one or two negatives put you off. Keep in mind that there are people who appreciate the banter, the nitpicking and the very good critiques, don't stop!"

I appreciate every comment I have received here, Eric, Mike, Jeremy, Slobodan, Russ, David, Chris, Roberto, and more recently, the very good insights of Terry.

Besides, where else are you going to go?  ;D

Thanks William

PS: I just love these windmills. Along with the Concord and a Formula 1 car, I think they are works of art!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: The Hand of Man
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:33 am »

I've tried a few windmill shots but have nothing this successful.
I like the way the fence and road both point toward the windmills, but stop short, with the windmills themselves elevated as if on a stage.

Nice one!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:10:42 am »

Thanks for the sentiment, William. I agree.
Your shot reminds me of the Palouse region of eastern Washington state where I was recently shooting.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 11:32:24 am »

A fine shot, William, even though I hate those damned bird blenders. It's a great study in leading lines, and, as usual, the hand of man makes the picture.

You're right. I was checking in on LuLa regularly and watching it degenerate to a level that most "critique" fora seem to reach: no serious critiques; either "That's great," "+1," "How wonderful," etc., etc., or a descent into technical nitpicking. I was ready to do a RobC and hang it up. Instead, I decided to toss a grenade and see if I could rouse the slumberers.

More importantly, your question: ". . .where else are you going to go?" is right on the money. I've tried a couple of those other places. On one forum I made the mistake of critiquing a picture posted by their "resident artist." Nobody in his right mind is going to go there.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:16:52 pm »

I think you need Slobodan half way down that road on his bike with a red jacket!

Jim

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »

A fine shot, William, even though I hate those damned bird blenders. It's a great study in leading lines, and, as usual, the hand of man makes the picture.

You're right. I was checking in on LuLa regularly and watching it degenerate to a level that most "critique" fora seem to reach: no serious critiques; either "That's great," "+1," "How wonderful," etc., etc., or a descent into technical nitpicking. I was ready to do a RobC and hang it up. Instead, I decided to toss a grenade and see if I could rouse the slumberers.

More importantly, your question: ". . .where else are you going to go?" is right on the money. I've tried a couple of those other places. On one forum I made the mistake of critiquing a picture posted by their "resident artist." Nobody in his right mind is going to go there.

+1 Russ. By the way, for anyone interested, I am now retired in the Phoenix area! More time to submit photos for critiques in the hopes that my head will be handed to me so that I can learn even more! Don't you dare consider hanging it up!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 03:40:57 pm »

I think you need Slobodan half way down that road on his bike with a red jacket!

Jim

Exactly! Anyone willing to finance my trip down there? I'll supply the red jacket ;)

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 04:52:35 pm »

William

I will do the nit picking - I hope in a constructive way.

Consider your overall image proportions and then crop. Yep CROP, see if that tightens up the image - maybe that is not what you want but surely it is worth a try.

For myself I like wind generators both visually and environmentally.

Mal

Coal fired Australia

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 05:28:50 pm »

Arrrrrgggghhh!!!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 03:24:07 am »

I think it's funny people get worked up about wind farms.
I've photographed a couple for one of our power companies and thought they were much more beautiful than a power plant
or any coal mine I've ever been to...

Then again, I think it's funny the people who come from the inner-city to protest about the coal mines in the near useless and ugly scrub
north west of where I live.
Every inch of their inner-city environment has been cleared of it's original wild life and bush, levelled and concreted to make humans more comfortable.

Hypocrisy rules !  ;D

Nice picture ..  ;)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 08:23:03 am »

Thanks to everyone for your comments - also thanks to those who I did not mention in the OP, if I missed you, it was nothing personal!

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 05:32:58 pm »

Ray

I made this for you - after pondering on what you are really trying to say.

:)

Mal

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 01:48:52 am »

William - I saw those 'damn bird blenders' in the distance and the road snaking off in that direction and my first thought was, "I wonder, at say 200 mph, if the slipstream would be enough to lend a hand...?"  :)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 08:02:20 am »

I would not have taken this picture five years ago. Thanks to this forum and Russ in particular, I now have no problems including "the hand of man". Thank you!

There were one or two comments made on another thread about "User Critiques" and the despondency being felt by some senior members...

I hope that was a passing feeling, because without certain people here it would just not be worth it. It is a pity that RobC has been absent for so long.

I would say, "please don't let one or two negatives put you off. Keep in mind that there are people who appreciate the banter, the nitpicking and the very good critiques, don't stop!"

I appreciate every comment I have received here, Eric, Mike, Jeremy, Slobodan, Russ, David, Chris, Roberto, and more recently, the very good insights of Terry.

Besides, where else are you going to go?  ;D

Thanks William

PS: I just love these windmills. Along with the Concord and a Formula 1 car, I think they are works of art!

YES! +20
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up