Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car and Ghosts  (Read 954 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Car and Ghosts
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:25 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Car and Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:47:13 am »

Well seen! One of the most interesting street photography shots I've seen here in some time. I love the suggestion of advertising for the car brand with the mysterious figures in the window.

RSL

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:59:23 pm »

Thanks, Lou. I can't resist stuff like this.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 05:29:03 pm »

It's refreshing to see a street shot that leads to thoughts other than, "here's a person on the street that has no idea his/her picture is being shot". Good content such as this capture is key for me to enjoy street shooting. Maybe that's why excellent shots in this genre are so rare.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:14:50 pm »

Lou, care to elaborate for street-ignoramuses like myself? What is "suggestion of advertising," and what is so great about this shot? I am not saying it isn't, just that I do not get it.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:45:38 pm »

The car is the immediate center of attraction with the color chosen in dramatic contrast to the building behind. Much like many high contrast car TV commercials I've seen recently. The greatness of the shot is seeing a very direct relationship between the color values of the "ghosts" and those of the car, thus tying them together in some way to be imagined by the viewer. People models are often clad in colors similar to the car being advertised. That's why I find the image so intriguing. 
I hope RSL can provide his views on why he took this shot.

RSL

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:02:38 pm »

Slobodan, Don't apologize for not understanding street. You may have missed it but I had a rather sharp exchange with Brooks Jensen, editor of LensWork magazine on LuLa not long ago. Brooks doesn't understand street either and a while back he published what he thought was a collection of shots from a competent street photographer. Unfortunately, all the "street" shots in the magazine with the possible exception of two should have gone into the round file instead of on the pages of the magazine. Also unfortunately Brooks chose to publish a collection of pictures by Vivian Maier in the same issue. The poor "street" guy ended up looking pretty lame. I've found that competent landscapers rarely understand street. But that doesn't make them bad photographers. I think it takes a certain kind of personality to "get" street. Happily, most of the history of photography has to do with street, and Ansel sort of comes off as a footnote, so there are plenty of people out there who do "get" street.

And Lou, I don't know why I shoot stuff like this. As I've often said, if you think about a photograph before you shoot it's likely that what you end up with won't be worth the trouble. I'm convinced that both in poetry and photography you have to rely on your unconscious.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:10:04 pm »

That is why my favorite all-time "street" shot isn't most likely street at all  :)

RSL

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »

You're right, Slobodan, it's a picture of a street but it's not a street photograph. It's a damned fine photograph none the less. I'm trying to decide how he got the blue into the thing. If it had been daytime I'd assume he set his color balance on incandescent and then pushed the Kelvins down a bit more, but it's not daylight so I have to assume he introduced the blue in post-processing.

I think people who don't understand street tend to be people who want to impose order on the universe: accountants and mathematicians for instance. People who understand street and who do it accept the randomness of the universe and simply try to record it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up