Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Performance Slow With Drobo 5D  (Read 8988 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Re: Lightroom Performance Slow With Drobo 5D
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 06:15:17 pm »

I am so disgusted with Drobo 5D nonperformance on late 2013 Mac Pro that I'd like to find an alternative. Would appreciate any recommendations.

CoyeoteButtes,

I am currently using the MacBook Pro Retina 15" (June 2012) with the Drobo 5D. I usually update my computer ever two years so this is the year to update. Looking at new MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz announce the other day. Also looking at changing from the Drobo 5D to the PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System.  Just trying to decide if I should upgrade 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz [Add $200.00] would be worth it.

Miles

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 08:13:00 am »

In looking for an alternative, the Pegasus line has garnered a good reputation.  My understanding is that the Pegasus2 is also backwards compatible with the original thunderbolt offering.  I have used the P2 R4 for a while now and am quite satisfied.  I have not done any speed tests however, but there are several reviews online that can provide that information.

phcorrigan

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 01:21:52 pm »

I am so disgusted with Drobo 5D nonperformance on late 2013 Mac Pro that I'd like to find an alternative. Would appreciate any recommendations.

You are always going to have some performance degradation with a SAN or NAS device when compared with a single disk unless you are paying several grand for a system with a true hardware-based RAID controller. The exception might be RAID 0 (drive spanning), which could give you somewhat better performance at a cost of higher risk of data loss.

If performance is your concern you might consider an external 7200 RPM disk with a USB 3 or Thunderbolt interface unless you need more than 4TB of storage.
Patrick Corrigan
Author, Data Protection for Photographers, now available (http://rockynook.com/book/0/259/data-protection-for-photographers.html)
Website/blog: http://dpworkflow.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up