Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Feed Problems Epson 3800 Sheet Feeder  (Read 2355 times)

pflower

Paper Feed Problems Epson 3800 Sheet Feeder
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:59:35 am »

My venerable Epson 3800 has suddenly developed problems feeding paper through the top sheet feeder.  It just grabs the paper but then just feeds it the whole way through.  This occurs with both lightweight proofing paper and my normal heavier weight Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.  Years ago I printed mostly with Photo Rag and similar problems occurred.  A tech from Epson simply cleaned the rubber roller that grabs the paper and cured that problem.

I have cleaned off the roller but that hasn't helped.  However when the error message arises I have found that if I move the roller a fraction in its normal direction of travel (i.e. towards the back of the printer) and then press the paper load button the paper loads perfectly well.

Any ideas what might be the problem and whether there might be a user fix for it?

Thans

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
Re: Paper Feed Problems Epson 3800 Sheet Feeder
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 11:58:52 am »

This worked for me on a 3800: Use a lint free cloth that has been very lightly moistened with tap water and a clean unused toothbrush. Swab the big rubber roll as far as you can reach, and gently brush the now damp roller. Keep pressing the paper feed button repeatedly while doing it so that the entire circumference of the roller gets treated. Prior to that I had to put sheets of card behind the paper so that it was nearer the grab roller. Since the cleaning regime the printer has been fine.

Regards,
John

pflower

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:35:12 pm »

I have thoroughly cleaned the roller. 

As far as I can see it is not a problem with the roller failing to grab the paper.  Something else is going on.  It grabs the paper and then feeds it all the way through the path.  If I physically move the roller then it grabs and prints.  It is almost as if the roller mechanism is not returning to the correct position after successfully feeding a sheet.

PatrickAllen

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:20:15 am »

This happened to our 3800 a year ago. We never found a solution so just changed to using the manual rear paper feed. I would be curious to know if you find a fix.

Best,
Patrick
KenAllenStudios

dgillilan

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:49:58 pm »

I saw a write-up article on the Museo paper company site, about this very problem and here is the pdf file from their site for their suggestions and they specifically provide photographs of the rollers and how to clean them, and Epson printers.

Debra
attachment
Pages: [1]   Go Up