Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Concept of RZ67 as a Tech-Cam  (Read 787 times)

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
Question about Concept of RZ67 as a Tech-Cam
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:28 am »

Hey Guys,
Since you guys are the authority on this technical camera stuff, I thought I would ask the question here.  I have been thinking about something and wanted to see if my hunch is correct.  Since I own both a M645DF+ and a RZ67ProIID, I got to thinking...
The RZ67 throws a very large image circle on the film plane, large enough for the 60mmx70mm frame to fall within.  The capture area of a Credo 60 or 80 is 53.9mmx40.4mm.
The RZ67 lenses are generally regarded pretty highly (at least for normal photography), although arguably not nearly as good as a Rodenstock.  So, wouldn't a back plate on the RZ67 that would allow the back to shift offer a really nice technical camera alternative?
I drew a quick layout on CAD (see attached) and it seems that a Credo 60 or 80 could theoretically be shifted up to 17mm in each direction and still fall within the image circle area.  Am I all wet with this?
If this is the case, it seems the design and fabrication of a stitching plate for the rear of the RZ would be a very desirable item and a very cost efficient way of having a lower cost pseudo tech cam.
I know someone is bound to say that the edges will be soft or a problem.  And I do understand that.  However, if you consider a standard MTF chart and realize that you could shift less than the maximum and stay away from the typically deteriorating ends of the MTF charts, you could avoid a lot of that.
In the attached CAD drawing, the yellow lines represent the RZ67 frame and assumed minimum image circle.  The solid blue lines represent the Credo 60/80 capture area when hung on the existing rear adapter plate.  The dashed blue lines represent a fully shifted Credo60/80 to the left.  The right shifted position was not drawn to avoid confusion.
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks!
Ken
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:43:27 am by KPV »

bpepz

Re: Question about Concept of RZ67 as a Tech-Cam
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:39:27 am »

Hey Guys,
Since you guys are the authority on this technical camera stuff, I thought I would ask the question here.  I have been thinking about something and wanted to see if my hunch is correct.  Since I own both a M645DF+ and a RZ67ProIID, I got to thinking...
The RZ67 throws a very large image circle on the film plane, large enough for the 60mmx70mm frame to fall within.  The capture area of a Credo 60 or 80 is 53.9mmx40.4mm.
The RZ67 lenses are generally regarded pretty highly (at least for normal photography), although arguably not nearly as good as a Rodenstock.  So, wouldn't a back plate on the RZ67 that would allow the back to shift offer a really nice technical camera alternative?
I drew a quick layout on CAD (see attached) and it seems that a Credo 60 or 80 could theoretically be shifted up to 17mm in each direction and still fall within the image circle area.  Am I all wet with this?
If this is the case, it seems the design and fabrication of a stitching plate for the rear of the RZ would be a very desirable item and a very cost efficient way of having a lower cost pseudo tech cam.
I know someone is bound to say that the edges will be soft or a problem.  And I do understand that.  However, if you consider a standard MTF chart and realize that you could shift less than the maximum and stay away from the typically deteriorating ends of the MTF charts, you could avoid a lot of that.
In the attached CAD drawing, the yellow lines represent the RZ67 frame and assumed minimum image circle.  The solid blue lines represent the Credo 60/80 capture area when hung on the existing rear adapter plate.  The dashed blue lines represent a fully shifted Credo60/80 to the left.  The right shifted position was not drawn to avoid confusion.
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks!
Ken

I made a similar adapter for my fuji gx680. Really no reason the same could not be done for the rz67. Some lenses, like the 180mm, easily cover 4x5. The rz67 also has a tilt-shift adapter. It is fairly limited, but for your setup it could be a useful addition.  You are supposed to use the so called "short barrel" lenses only with the tilt shift adapter, BUT, you can get away with using longer lenses, you will still not reach infinity, but for table top work I have used it before with no problems. It somewhat acts like a tiny extension tube on the non-SB lenses.

The concept behind my fuji adapter should work exactly the same in your case, only problem is it might be a little more expensive. What I did was take a cheap chinese m645 to fuji gx680 adapter  ($150) I had used when I still had my leaf aptus back. I am using a h3d-39 now, so I need to find a way to do two things, find something in H mount (hard) and find an adapter that the H mount can go onto with stitching capability. I found another chinese solution, it is a stitching adapter, but only one axis for a few hundred, and it was H mount! I went and used a dremmel and enlarged the hole on the m645 to fuji plate. I then used a hefty amount of JB aluminum weld to bond it with the stitching adapter. After letting it dry, I tested it by throwing it a good 15ft out my window onto the pavement, it stuck together, so I am pretty sure the JB weld did the trick. Only problem with this adapter is the slightly added thickness makes me lose infinity focus. Also, the imprecision of the entire thing probably makes all you tech guys cringe. However, for shooting food, it is great! You could do the same thing with the rz67, find a chinese stitching adapter that will fit your back, and then, the hard part, finding an anything adapter that goes onto your rz67. As far as I know, there are no generic cheap rz67 adapters. Considering you would have to butcher one for this to work, it seems like not as good of an idea. Maybe something you could do is find an old film back, and take the mount off of it, since the only thing you need it for is a proxy to mount the stitching adapter. Also, if your not cheap like me, you could get it bonded professionally with some type of screw solution, that way you could even buy extra stitching adapters of various mounts, in case you wanted to use it with another back. I bet you could even make a DSLR adapter, except even more infinity focus would be lost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up