Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suggestions/help re: 600mm Nikon Spotting Scope/D600  (Read 1329 times)

raymond bleesz

suggestions/help re: 600mm Nikon Spotting Scope/D600
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:25:43 am »

Your suggestion re: this situation--I have a D600 & the Nikkon 600 spotting scope with attachment. I do not have at present a "remote" and rely on my finger trigger     and  I could use the camera self timer as I have at times which is too slow. I have a very heavy Gitzo tripod.
The issue is camera shake & shutter vibration at closure. I could lock up the mirror but with this lens that's not really an option. I'm shooting birds/movement.

What are your suggestions---what am I overlooking with this combo--what is the solution for tack sharp images(they are good, however, I expect better sharpness).

Raymond

Colorado David

Re: suggestions/help re: 600mm Nikon Spotting Scope/D600
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:28 am »

The problem I see with digiscope photography is that while spotting scopes are excellent for their primary function, they are too slow for wildlife photography.  If it were me and I was really intent on making it work, I'd use a remote trigger, a Wimberly type head, and the highest ISO I thought I could reasonably get away with.  Birds in flight are a complicated subspecialty of wildlife photography and are one of the reasons for the existence of fast, long lenses that cost many thousands.  If you were shooting stationary wildlife, you could go the other way and set the exposure to be long enough that the failings of the slow scope didn't affect the final photo as much.  Some animals will stay completely motionless for seconds at a time making this possible.  Birds in flight not so much.

Fine_Art

Re: suggestions/help re: 600mm Nikon Spotting Scope/D600
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:39:14 pm »

Use a remote release. You can steer the lens with the other hand. Set the shutter to quiet, the mirror does not slap as hard. Keep the shutter speed above 1/500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up