Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visitor  (Read 4673 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Visitor
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 10:40:39 am »

I was able to get in the ballpark, Slobodan, but I still don't quite know what you did. It was more than vignetting. You did a better job than I was able to do of subduing detail in the background. I already owe you. Guess I'll owe you another one. How did you do that?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RSL

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 11:17:10 am »

And what if the moon were made of green cheese, Isaac? Neil Armstrong could have had lunch.

stamper

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 12:48:15 pm »

Quote Russ Reply #15

I think discussing technical issues is important, but not to the exclusion of what really matters: things like subject significance and composition.

unquote

I am in agreement here. Stated before by myself that I don't look for "perfection." Alas some members seem to think an image must be "perfect" to pass muster. I suspect a lot of the members - including myself - are reluctant to post on a regular basis because of perceived nitpicking. Also personalities come into play. If a member has posted and been criticised for something then when another member who has done the criticising posts an image then gets criticised in return...to "settle a score". This part of the forum isn't really worth bothering about any more especially when a member who doesn't participate in posting an image for critique gives us his "pearl's of wisdom". :( :-\

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »

... I suspect a lot of the members - including myself - are reluctant to post on a regular basis because of perceived nitpicking...

There is always "Without Prejudice" thread for that. Also, anyone is free to state what type of critique they welcome (or not). Feel free to state: "Please no comments on technique."

... Also personalities come into play. If a member has posted and been criticised for something then when another member who has done the criticising posts an image then gets criticised in return...to "settle a score"...

Since you brought it up in this thread, where it mostly me and Russ going back and forth, I hope he and I never engaged in "settling a score." I also hope I never engaged in it with anyone else.

RSL

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 02:09:51 pm »

I never have, Slobodan, and I can't imagine that you have either. I remember speaking sharply to "dalethorn" five years ago, but that was never in retaliation.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 04:07:18 pm »

I was able to get in the ballpark, Slobodan, but I still don't quite know what you did. It was more than vignetting. You did a better job than I was able to do of subduing detail in the background. I already owe you. Guess I'll owe you another one. How did you do that?

Vignetting was at -45 Amount and 0 Midpoint. However, there is more:

1. There is a circular grad applied to the background with minus 0.5 f/stop exposure, half-feathered (see the attached files)

2. A brush with -50 Highlights

3. A brush with -100 Highlights

4. My global settings (see the attachment)

5. In HSL panel, Blues were set at -50 and Greens at -36... that helped darken the truck's back window and greenery in the background. Darkening Blue also darkens the t-shirt of the OOF guy, making it less obtrusive. The rest of HSL was on Auto.

6. There is some local Clarity (+30) and Exposure (+35) applied to the main guy's body and face and then some extra Exposure just for the face (+35).

There you go! As you can see, I prefer manual adjustments to any canned pre-set or auto program.

RSL

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 04:11:13 pm »

I owe you again my friend. That's at least three times now. You really know your post-processing.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 06:05:10 pm »

Vignetting was at -45 Amount and 0 Midpoint. However, there is more:

1. There is a circular grad applied to the background with minus 0.5 f/stop exposure, half-feathered (see the attached files)

2. A brush with -50 Highlights

3. A brush with -100 Highlights

4. My global settings (see the attachment)

5. In HSL panel, Blues were set at -50 and Greens at -36... that helped darken the truck's back window and greenery in the background. Darkening Blue also darkens the t-shirt of the OOF guy, making it less obtrusive. The rest of HSL was on Auto.

6. There is some local Clarity (+30) and Exposure (+35) applied to the main guy's body and face and then some extra Exposure just for the face (+35).

There you go! As you can see, I prefer manual adjustments to any canned pre-set or auto program.

Very interesting and thanks for sharing

stamper

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 03:20:17 am »

When putting DoF to use is taken to be absurdity, we've given up on those kinds of pictures.

Please explain this in plain English....if possible?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up